• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Fantasy Baseball League 2009

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
My sincerest apologies, I got stuck at the beach and missed the draft. How'd I do?
I think you did... ok. Your pitching is pretty iffy though. You have a high risk team in my opinion. Are you ready to lose your first game? It cracks me up that I was able to snag Pujols, A-Rod, Webb, Peavy, and Hamels. How does that even happen?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I think you did... ok. Your pitching is pretty iffy though. You have a high risk team in my opinion.

Are you ready to lose your first game?

It cracks me up that I was able to snag Pujols, A-Rod, Webb, Peavy, and Hamels.
How does that even happen?

Shall we go through a comparison of our teams position by position, just for our fans?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Shall we go through a comparison of our teams position by position, just for our fans?
If you want, I have a soccer game to go watch at J's house. I can catch up later. I want to know what people think the steal and reach of the draft was? Everyone chime in! I am pretty sure that Matt Wieters went too early at the 10th pick in the 11th round. Especially since I picked Iannetta up in the next round, and he is a starting MLB catcher, which Wieters is not. I think Xavier Nady with the 1st pick of the 13th round is an excellent value. Especially since I was all amped up to take him with the 2nd pick in the 13th round. As funny as it is to mock, Lastings Millege was a bargain in the 14th too. Who else... Chris Carpenter in the 16th was good. Anything else?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
If you want, I have a soccer game to go watch at J's house. I can catch up later.

I want to know what people think the steal and reach of the draft was? Everyone chime in!

I didn't think you guys watched soccer.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I didn't think you guys watched soccer.
I don't know what would give you that idea.
sounders_fc.jpg

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
2008 combined stats for my players. Just for ***** and giggles.

949 runs/ 763
251 HR/ 233
936 RBI/885
96 SB/ 18
295.3 BA/.288

1228 IP/1499
75 W/107
79 SV/74
1098 K/1368
3.41 ERA/3.57
1.21 WHIP/1.2

6-3-1 for you. I hope Hamels n A-Rod hold up well. I'm really hoping Cruz and Maybin pull off some good rookie numbers. As I'm sure you know, Cruz is hitting 4th for Texas; I have high hopes for him.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
If you want, I have a soccer game to go watch at J's house. I can catch up later.

I want to know what people think the steal and reach of the draft was? Everyone chime in!

I am pretty sure that Matt Wieters went too early at the 10th pick in the 11th round. Especially since I picked Iannetta up in the next round, and he is a starting MLB catcher, which Wieters is not.

I think Xavier Nady with the 1st pick of the 13th round is an excellent value. Especially since I was all amped up to take him with the 2nd pick in the 13th round.

As funny as it is to mock, Lastings Millege was a bargain in the 14th too.

Who else... Chris Carpenter in the 16th was good. Anything else?

I was pretty happy to get Cliff Lee in the 7th round. Nelson Cruz was definitely a reach in the 8th.
Nolasco in the 13th was a steal. Maybin was a reach, period. Ubaldo Jimenez was nice in the 20th, exept for the worrisome WHIP.

Carlos Delgado in the 8th was pretty good too.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I can't believe I picked Wagner.
smile.gif

He is already on waivers.

Slim

C - Chris Iannetta
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Mike Aviles(2B, SS), Jose Lopez (2B, 1B), Kaz Matsui
SS - J.J. Hardy,
3B - Alex Rodriguez, Mike Lowell
OF - Bobby Abreu, Jermaine Dye, Mark DeRosa(2B,3B,OF), Ryan Church

SP - Brandon Webb, Jake Peavy, Cole Hamels, Brandon Morrow(SP,RP), Matt Garza, Ian Snell
RP - Brian Wilson, Hong-Chih Kuo, accidental pick of Billy Wagner w 21st round pick. Will replace him.

Also going to replace one other pitcher. Forgot about someone. Need to grab him.

C Molina/Shoppach Steve
1B- Jesus wouldn't beat Pujols Slim
2B- Slim
SS- Slim will dispute this, but I think this is a wash UNLESS Tulo gets hurt again
3B- Slim IF A-Rod comes back in decent form
OF- Steve
Util- Wash
SP- Wash
RP- Steve
Depth/Bench- Steve

Steve wins 4, Slim wins 4, 3 Washes Pretty even IMO.

But as posted above Slim wins team pretty handily.

Do you REALLY spend 80 hrs preparing for a draft?

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2008 combined stats for my players. Just for ***** and giggles.

949 runs
251 HR
936 RBI
96 SB
295.3 BA

1228 IP
75 W
79 SV
1098 SO
3.41 ERA
1.21 WHIP

Arod, Pujols, etc... was a good draft

some girl came to visit me at Starbucks while i was drafting... she distracted me!!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
C Molina/Shoppach Steve 1B- Jesus wouldn't beat Pujols Slim 2B- Slim SS- Slim will dispute this, but I think this is a wash UNLESS Tulo gets hurt again 3B- Slim IF A-Rod comes back in decent form OF- Steve Util- Wash SP- Wash RP- Steve Depth/Bench- Steve Steve wins 4, Slim wins 4, 3 Washes Pretty even IMO. But as posted above Slim wins team pretty handily. Do you REALLY spend 80 hrs preparing for a draft?
I am going to do a double take every time I see that you rated our starting pitching as a "wash"... I think there are a couple of other "washes" on your list that are washes only in a best case scenario for you. If you have less than the optimum production, say, statistical average years, most of your washes are in fact areas where I'm stronger than you. SS: Hardy vs Tulo in the same three year period 06-08: Runs - 226/167, HR - 64/33, RBI - 218/151, SB - 5/11, AVG - .270/.276 That's not quite a wash. Util: Currently, this is a Mike Aviles vs Jorge Cantu matchup This could be a wash, considering that Cantu had 200+ at bats when Aviles was called up last year. I think Aviles' BA, OBP, SLG, and OPS .325 .354 .480 .833 \tvs Cantu's .277 .327 .481 .808 \tfrom last year are pretty telling though. OF: Abreu/Dye/DeRosa vs Quentin/Cruz/Ibanez 08 stats. Runs - 299/200, HR - 75/66, RBI - 283/236, SB - 31/12, AVG - .291/.303 That's not a victory for you, unless either Cruz for Maybin has a 100/25/80/20/.300 year, or all of my guys tank. As it stands, my OF is better. And as far as depth/bench, I guess it depends who's on your bench... As of right now, my bench players kill yours statistically, because A-Rod is on there. When he's healthy, he will probably be replaced by Lowell - but assuming your bench stays as-is (which I assume may not be the case by the time I move A-Rod, I still win that battle statistically Lowell/Church/Matsui:170/47/155/24/.281 Hudson/Shoppach/Maybin:130/38/98/8/.355 (inflated by Maybin's .500 average) So for the moment, that's me too. I'm not saying that this is how everything will work out, but statistically speaking, aside from your unknown quantity in Maybin (and that very well may equalize either your OF or Bench, but not both) And then theres starting pitching: Webb, Peavy, Hamels, Garza, Snell, Morrow vs Sabathia, Lee, Vasquez, Nolasco, Meche, Jiminez: Wins - 67/92, K's - 883/1162, ERA - 3.61/3.56, WHIP - 1.26/1.23... So as it stands, that is a win for you, but wait two more days and I will take two or three of those categories back from the waiver wire. I'll call it a wash, numerically speaking, but I also have a starter coming out of the BP from last year who should have Lincecum like pitching numbers, so last years numbers are a little deceptive. this is how your H2H matchup really looks:
1B- Jesus wouldn't beat Pujols Slim 2B- Slim SS- Slim 3B- Slim IF A-Rod comes back in decent form OF- Slim Util- Wash SP- Steve (for a couple days, then probably a wash) RP- Steve Depth/Bench- Slim

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
And I wouldn't say I spend 80 solid hours for one draft. I'd say that probably covers all three of my drafts.
smile.gif

I started making my draft board about three weeks ago. I update it based on spring training, WBC, and ADP draft sheets. Then I take my player projections and tailor them to three sets of league rules.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you did... ok. Your pitching is pretty iffy though. You have a high risk team in my opinion.

Are you ready to lose your first game?

It cracks me up that I was able to snag Pujols, A-Rod, Webb, Peavy, and Hamels.
How does that even happen?

Very iffy.
frown.gif

Especially with only two SP slots this time around, I got Lincecum (awesome) and Gallardo (???). Also, B.J. Ryan as my only closer? Trade anyone? Apparently pre-selecting my draft order worked OK for offense but my pitching leaves much to me desired considering the shallow roster spots.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Trade anyone?
I'm in it to win it. So I won't trade you anyone until at LEAST after I beat you in week 1. You'll have to look somewhere else.
smile.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in it to win it. So I won't trade you anyone until at LEAST after I beat you in week 1. You'll have to look somewhere else.
smile.gif

We'll see. I do believe we split our head-to-heads last year. (Daniel Murphy batting #2 in the Mets lineup FTW!)

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Goddamn, you dudes take this seriously. I draft on instinct. Be afraid, very very afraid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads