• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How bad is the new Mustang?

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im getting a new car, i want a sporty convertible.

The old Mustang is a sentimental favorite of mine.

I kind of like the new one, is the build quality/reliability bad?

(Id be getting the V6, has to do with my location rather than my choice)

theguy

Reaction score
why buy a muscle car with no muscle?
a toyota camry with the v6 would blow your mustang out of the water, that would be sad no?
(not saying to buy a camry, just saying...)
can you buy a used gt?
supposedly the new american cars are rated well for reliability

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen a few Mustangs that looked pretty nice. I know nothing about their performance or build quality.

Millerp

Reaction score
I've rented the new Mustang (V6) several times on trips to
California. They are a lot of fun to drive, are quick off the
line and handle quite well. Each one had less than 5,000
miles on it, so I don't know about long term reliability.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Millerp
I've rented the new Mustang (V6) several times on trips to California. They are a lot of fun to drive, are quick off the line and handle quite well. Each one had less than 5,000 miles on it, so I don't know about long term reliability.
Same here. I rent them all the time. Can tweak out the rears with reasonable reliability, get some power oversteer if there's any loose gravel on the road, yada yada yada. I did however, rent one for one leg of a trip, and had an Impala for the other. It was noticeable how much harder the Mustang rode, as well as how much louder it was. ~ H

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
Im getting a new car, i want a sporty convertible.

The old Mustang is a sentimental favorite of mine.

I kind of like the new one, is the build quality/reliability bad?

(Id be getting the V6, has to do with my location rather than my choice)

What do you want to spend.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want a real 'stang, get a '69 Mach I with a 351. What a fun car to drive.

December2007017.jpg

Captain.Kia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
S
I did however, rent one for one leg of a trip, and had an Impala for the other. It was noticeable how much harder the Mustang rode, as well as how much louder it was.

~ H

FYI: Suspension is stiffer in sports cars.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain.Kia

Yeah, but the V6 'Stang is not getting the full suspension treatment. Stiff or harder riding does not necessarily mean you're getting a better handling vehicle. I've had very nice riding vehicles, that still cornered like they were on rails.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
If you want a real 'stang, get a '69 Mach I with a 351. What a fun car to drive.

December2007017.jpg

Wish I could race one...

I think a lot of the new muscle cars are better than the old ones. Same HP, much better amenities. Better gas mileage.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like you have a sentimental spot for old stangs. I have a 66 GT sitting in a garage and it's one of the few things in life that really relaxes me (should I have the rare moment of free time coupled with the appropriate weather to drive it). A newer model, drives well and I've pushed it at high speeds without any issue and have the speeding tickets from Arizona to prove it. It is inspired by the older versions, but definitely not as much charm. See if you can rent one for a day or two and you'll realize really quickly if you like it.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Wish I could race one... I think a lot of the new muscle cars are better than the old ones. Same HP, much better amenities. Better gas mileage.
A new one would smoke it. It's not just better amenities.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
A new one would smoke it. It's not just better amenities.

Unless Vin Diesel was driving it.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain.Kia
You don't say? I'd always thought that it was the luxury cars with the really stiff suspensions. Hmmm.... Seriously, as Pio points out, there are good hard suspensions and there are crappy hard suspensions. The 'stang seems to me to have a crappy hard suspension. It might get tiring after a while. The road noise was more annoying though. Still think it's a decent car overall, but those are caveats. I should have been more clear in my earlier post. Playing around in the Mustang was fun, no lie, but 300mi on the Interstate was far more pleasant in the Impala than it was in the Mustang the day before -- the stiff suspension doesn't really help out much at 70mph and a straight line, and the noise is unnecessary. ~ H

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know what I hated when driving in a new convertible? I hated the thick steering wheel and the clunky seat. I just remembered I hadn't said that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads