• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

b-ill

Reaction score
Should I be putting shoe trees in these or am I better off leaving them out?

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
IMO you don't really need them, if properly cared for otherwise.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm being naive, but shoe trees in boots?

epsilon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
Maybe I'm being naive, but shoe trees in boots?
Are you saying they wouldn't fit? I have no trouble putting trees in my GTs, Iron rangers or LL Bean engineer boots.

Vidi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
boot tree

Some of my boots have shoe trees in them; my GTs have exactly the boot trees acidboy linked to in them.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have boot trees on my Alden Indy's and they help keep the shape. The RWGT's though are tough bastards and I don't think an absence of shoe trees would have a negative effect on its appearance.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epsilon
Are you saying they wouldn't fit? I have no trouble putting trees in my GTs, Iron rangers or LL Bean engineer boots.

No, more like I've always worn work boots and don't see the point in using shoe trees in a rugged boot that's worn hard.

Then again, I've never owned a more 'elegant' boot, so my opinion is pretty useless!

emale

Reaction score
does anyone have pics of the black cherry GT's that have been polished with black?

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
im having trouble sizing a pair of GT's

i wear a 10 in vans, 9 in clarks DB, 9 in quoddy boat shoe, 10 in sperry chukka boot.

do i go 9 in GT's? also is black or the brown the fav color for GT?

seamless74

Reaction score
i dont care what anybody here says GT's are a full size large.. and thats because theyre made to be worn with thick socks.. i wear a 9 in Clarks and i could easily fit into a 8 in the travelers unfortunately i bought an 8.5 to this day i still wish i sized down some more.

losabio

Reaction score
Thanks everybody for all the info on these great boots. These reminded me of my faithful Doc Martens from back in the day.

I bought a cherry pair from Urban Outfitters online, thanks for the heads-up on their good pricing! For anyone still trying to figure out sizing, I wear a 10.5 in Nikes, a 10 in adidas, a 9.5 in dress shoes and Chuck Taylor low tops, and went with a size 9 in these boots. Just thought I'd log one more data point.

RustyRyan

Reaction score
If size 10.5 D fits me perfectly in the Alden Indy boot, what size would work best in the Red Wing GT?

redwinglover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RustyRyan
If size 10.5 D fits me perfectly in the Alden Indy boot, what size would work best in the Red Wing GT?
my feet are 28,5cm long and 10,5cm width. a us10,5d works well. i have already tried a us10D, but after the breakin phase they went very small. i couldnt wear them anymore. for me they run 1/2 size too large.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why so many people have trouble sizing RW's. THey sell them EVERY WHERE, just go to a store and try some on for ***** sake.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads