• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oil Slick Finish

DocHunter

Reaction score
I got a pair of Earnest Sewn Hutchs off the Gilt sale a few weeks ago. They've been sort of sitting here by my desk because I'm not sure what to do with them because I've never dealt with a pair of jeans that are dyed this way. The finish is called "Oil Slick" and they were labeled as "Indigo" on the Gilt Sale.

They look like they were just totally saturated in dye so much that they're totally black. You can't see the white threads through the indigo dyed threads. But along the hem and other folds in the fabric like the inseam and outseam, you can see that it has a blue hue.

My question is: will these fade into a regular blue denim? Right now they're totally black. I don't really know what to make of it. I'm also worried that the first soak will lose a ton of indigo since they are pretty much oozing dye at this point. Should I just get them hemmed up and start wearing them in? Are these going to eventually look like my Ande Whalls or Levis? Is this a stupid question?

Here's a link to another pair with the same finish. As you can see they just look like black jeans.

http://www.revolveclothing.com/Displ...rnest+Sewn&d=d

DocHunter

Reaction score
I know it's bad etiquette to bump my own thread, but can anyone help me with this?

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sound like black overdyed indigo jeans.. As you wear them the black dye will fade, revealing the blue underneath. If you soaked them they'd lose some black dye, but I don't know how much..

DocHunter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djh
Sound like black overdyed indigo jeans.. As you wear them the black dye will fade, revealing the blue underneath. If you soaked them they'd lose some black dye, but I don't know how much..

I think that's what it sounds like. Are they dyed black or are they dyed with so much indigo that it looks black?

And could anyone help me with some pics of what this looks like after they're worn? Are there any other companies that make this that someone may have already posted pics of?

DocHunter

Reaction score
Ok, this is the last time I'll bump it. Can anyone give me any info on these jeans?

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wear them and see :p They sound interesting.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The dye will come out as you wash them. I don't think you can really say exactly what shade they will turn out to. It depends on how you wash it and how often. Obviously the more it is washed, the more dye it will lose and it also depends on if you turn your jeans inside out for washes and do you leave it in the dryer until it is dry or if you hang dry it after like 5 to 10 minutes in the dryer. That's why the website says "each Earnest Sewn pair is guaranteed to be singular and uniquely-styled, just like the lucky individual who owns them" in the description.

As to your question, I would get them hemmed and just wear them in. It's not like the jeans are unsanforized. And be careful sitting on anything light colored in them or wear white sneakers as they will probably bleed color if they are in fact overdyed and not coated. The jeans do not have a glossy finish to them do they?

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overdye means they took a pair of indigo jeans and then dyed it again in black dye. So as the black dye fades it'll reveal the indigo underneath.

DocHunter

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

No, there's not really a shine to the jeans that would make me think they're coated. These things look like they'll bleed like a motherfucker. I'm mainly wondering if they'll fade into a regular indigo dyed jean or if they'll fade more like black denim and get that faux metalhead look.

I can see along crease lines that it's turned a bright blue where it's naturally distressed. Like where the hem has been folded and around the folds in the button fly area there's definitely some blue showing through.

This should be interesting.

Kregg

Reaction score
I'm really intrigued. They sound like they'll be a fun pair of jeans to watch fade, so keep us updated. Hint hint, post evo pics in Post Pictures of your Denim thread. =D

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHunter
Thanks for the info.

No, there's not really a shine to the jeans that would make me think they're coated. These things look like they'll bleed like a motherfucker. I'm mainly wondering if they'll fade into a regular indigo dyed jean or if they'll fade more like black denim and get that faux metalhead look.

I can see along crease lines that it's turned a bright blue where it's naturally distressed. Like where the hem has been folded and around the folds in the button fly area there's definitely some blue showing through.

This should be interesting.

Indigo overdyed jeans look almost black when you first buy them. I'm sure they will fade into a regular indigo dyed jean as you said its blue in the distressed area.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads