• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prescription glasses in NYC

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did some searching and couldn't find anything. Any recommendations for a good glasses shop in NYC? Doesn't need to be super high end, doesn't need to be bargain basement. Basically looking for a place to get good service (i.e. suggest some quality frames that aren't terribly boring) for a fair price. Oh, and for both regular glasses and Rx sunglasses.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I did some searching and couldn't find anything. Any recommendations for a good glasses shop in NYC? Doesn't need to be super high end, doesn't need to be bargain basement. Basically looking for a place to get good service (i.e. suggest some quality frames that aren't terribly boring) for a fair price. Oh, and for both regular glasses and Rx sunglasses.
Sol Moscot.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Sol Moscot.

+1 I was a contact wearer each and every day. Then I went to Moscot back in October and I haven't worn contacts since.

scruff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Sol Moscot.

Word. Moscot (LES and Chelsea) and Fabulous Franny's (E Vill) are two staples. Franny's, in my opinion, is the best eyeglasses shop in the city - fantastic vintage frames at reasonable prices and better than average selection of new frames. For the lenses, I recommend 88 Optical on Mott and Hester. Dirt cheap and lenses are always ready in 30 minutes.

JordanB

Reaction score
I like Grand Central Optical at Madison, between 45th and 46th. Some of their sales assistants have very good taste and are good at matching glasses to your face (the blonde lady in particular).

Jacksdad

Reaction score
I have had good luck at a few of the Robert Marc stores in the city.

OCULUS

Reaction score
Purdy's--at their Madison Ave midtown store, I've been forced to sit next to Walter Cronkite and others fames. They aren't cheap but they get it right and carry a good range of qulaity stuff for a reasonable price.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As my wife said, "good ole styleforum." Thanks, guys. I'll start with Moscot--I see a few I'd like to try.

med_miltzen_crst_clr_side_4224.jpg

med_miltzen_tort_bwn_side_4226.jpg

med_dannee_blnd_brwn_side_3146.jpg

med_dannee-dark_tortoise-clear-3197.jpg

med_1-0000253-1277.jpg

Jerry65

Reaction score
I think Grand Central Optical is the best!!!! I have been fitted for progressive lenses four times in the past by others and I never was able to wear them. Ask for Scott at the Madison Avenue Store, he fitted me, I was able to wear my glasses immediately and never had a problem. Also they have a great selection of frames. I got many complimants from my clients and friends!!!!

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this because I'm in the market for some new frames.

I'm particularly interested in trying Mykita glasses because I've heard great things about their comfort and quality. Any leads?

The websites of the sites suggested in this thread don't list them as a line they carry.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
Hoping to revive an old thread for advise in case new stores have opened the last three years. I've just moved into the city, and it's time for new glasses as well.

Thanks!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads