• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I know if I need a short or a regular for a suit jacket

pred02

Reaction score
Hi,
What is the best way to know if a short or a regular suit jacket / blazer fits me better? I am 5' 9" around 150lbs and usually wear a size 38. For coats most I have are 38S but for some suits 38R. I am ordering a suit online and have the measurement differences between the two, just not sure which to order. I will most likely have the suit modified by a tailor to fit me better.

Thanks!

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 5'9 you probably don't need an S, but don't buy it on my say so.
- measure the length of a jacket you are happy with, then go for whichever one is closer to that
- Get measured by a pro and have them tell you which length you need

kaczmar2

Reaction score
I'm 6'2" and I find I can fit into a 40R with some arm lengthening. I used to always only try on 40L but found I could be more flexible. Maybe the jacket length is sufficent for his height and he just needs the arms lengthened a bit.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Height/weight can be misleading for suit jacket sizing. People carry weight in different areas and can have longer torsos or longer legs for their height.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I waer a regualr and am the same height as you mentioned, also you might want to try on a regualr jacket if you cup your hands to the side you should be able to touch the bottom of the coat. If not then the jack is either too long or too short.

jst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pred02
What is the best way to know if a short or a regular suit jacket / blazer fits me better?

Try one on at a local store - look in a mirror

pred02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jst
Try one on at a local store - look in a mirror

How much down should the jacket go? Does anyone have a picture as to the proper length?

Thanks!

Captain.Kia

Reaction score
Cover your ass.

Shorter than that = trendy =/= work (unless you work in fashion I suppose)

OCULUS

Reaction score
The old self-measurement standard was the tail of the jacket should meet your butt hole.
devil.gif
No reason that shouldn't apply today for traditionally cut goods. YMMV

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain.Kia
Cover your ass.
Yes, but just barely. The longer your jacket, the shorter your legs will appear. So don't overdo it.

Another popular way to determine proper jacket length is to measure from the bottom of the jacket's collar (the seam where the collar meets the jacket body) down to the bottom of the jacket. Then measure from the bottom of the jacket's collar all the way to the floor (while you're wearing the jacket, of course). The first measurement should be half of the second measurement.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am about 5'9 or 5'10 and thought I was a 40R or slimmer 42R. I have very short legs (30 inch in seam at most).

I have gotten a bit bigger in the last few years, making the 40s usually a tad snug, and the 42s still noticeably sloppy without any work done. I was in Nordstroms, and looking for a new suit. The 40R was too small by a smidgen. The 42R was just too big. The lady suggested I try the 42S and it was spot on. The proportions just looked better (counter to my long torso). I do not know why or what caused this, but it just looked better. This was the only short I have ever tried on, so I am not going to say I am now a short, but I would try them on again.

So, the moral of the story is, get what fits, not what you think you should wear.

PS, what else about the short is different? Are they usually a touch slimmer too? It was not just the length that was different with this jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads