• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Long before Coach K is Out at Duke?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's been 10 years (almost) since they won a championship, they've had a mediocre run for several years (by Duke/elite ACC standards).

One has to start wondering when it will be time for him to go.

Kzahjfadjkhski is not part of the Bowden/Paterno era where you can stay at one school forever, no matter how iconic you are.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
He will stay there until he decides he's done. And any college in the country would be dumb not to take him if he were to ever leave.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This should be in dumb threads. Has any team been more consistent in the last 20 years? People don't realize how hard it is to win a title in any major collegiate sport. Coach K is as good as it gets in his era, he will coach there as he surpasses Knight's win total, /end thread.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
This should be in dumb threads. Has any team been more consistent in the last 20 years? People don't realize how hard it is to win a title in any major collegiate sport. Coach K is as good as it gets in his era, he will coach there as he surpasses Knight's win total, /end thread.

The problem is Duke is one of those schools where not winning it all is a failure. They're in a bit of a drought at the moment. There will be talk of him leavng son

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Tomorrow?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edinatlanta
The problem is Duke is one of those schools where not winning it all is a failure. They're in a bit of a drought at the moment. There will be talk of him leavng son

K walks on water. He's more important than the University's President, Richard Brodhead. He won the ACC tournament this year. He won a gold medal (well, not technically) last summer. Perhaps K is not part of the Bowden/Paterno era, but who's going to fire a coach who just won the conference tournament and (as importantly) has a solid record against their main rival? He's 7-5 against UNC since Roy Williams went to UNC. This isn't Lloyd Carr at Meechigan, who finished up 6-1 against Jim Tressel at OSU.

He will not be losing any sleep about his job security. I write this as an alum of not just one decent hoops school, but two.

coachk.jpg

unexpected

Reaction score
As a Duke Alum myself, I will tell you that Coach K does walk on water, and also has input into every major decision that goes on at the university, from vetting the University president, to picking the women's basketball coach (who sucks), to picking our new A.D.

Coach K will be the only one who decides when he wants to leave, and I hope he doesn't leave soon. We've gone to 9/11 sweet sixteens, we went to 2 final fours this decade, with one national championship, have more wins this decade than any other program, and have not been failures by any measure.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he has a life time contract with duke....

DBoon

Reaction score
nobody on the Duke campus ever says anything bad about Coach K

otherwise, they "disappear"

mmhollis

Reaction score
Are you serious? There is no way in hell he gets nudged out. He wins, the kids graduate and don't cause problems and his influence on campus extends far beyond Cameron.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might be wrong about this, because this is just off the top of my head, but I can't think of anybody in all of sports who has a more secure job than Coach K. Not Belichick, not Phil Jackson, certainly nobody in baseball. Your question would be ridiculous at any time, but is especially so coming just days after they won the ACC tournament and went to the sweet sixteen.

Oxnard

Reaction score
are you serious? Duke has won the ACC title eight times in the last eleven years. Just because half his team choked against Villanova's defense last night doesn't mean ****. Nevermind they even had him do the Olympic basketball team or whatever last year. Hell, I live in Chapel Hill, I hate Duke, but even I can admit that Coach K has sustained one of the best college basketball programs in the country, period. 93 NCAA tournament appearences as well as several title wins. Within the land of Duke University, Coach K is held on a ******* pedestal, he would NEVER be removed from there unless it was of his choice.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just a distant follower of college hoops these days, but concur with those who suggest it's K's call as to when / if he ever decides to step down.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coach K is coach for life. Most of the current team is returning, and Duke is one good post player away from being a serious contender for the national championship.

daft

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
I might be wrong about this, because this is just off the top of my head, but I can't think of anybody in all of sports who has a more secure job than Coach K. Not Belichick, not Phil Jackson, certainly nobody in baseball. Your question would be ridiculous at any time, but is especially so coming just days after they won the ACC tournament and went to the sweet sixteen.

alex ferguson

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads