• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Removing Epaulettes From a Military Jacket

GQBaller

Reaction score
Can epaulettes be removed by a tailor with ruining a jacket's shoulders?

I think they look kind of "wannabe-military."

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQBaller
Can epaulettes be removed by a tailor with ruining a jacket's shoulders?

I think they look kind of "wannabe-military."

I have a similar question, do the shoes I am wearing look good with this shirt?

Pics not available. Sry.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
^^ who are oyu again? you need atleast 1k posts to be a dick on this forum!

anyway, depends on how the epaulettes are attached. post a picture and hopefully one of the forums tailors will respond

GQBaller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda
I have a similar question, do the shoes I am wearing look good with this shirt?

Pics not available. Sry.

Why are you mocking my question? It's not noobish. It's very technical and needs a specific answer from someone who does tailoring.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are you mocking my question? It's not noobish. It's very technical and needs a specific answer from someone who does tailoring.

My point was it really depends on the piece and how it's sewn, details you didn't offer.

I just didn't spell it out as nicely.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the internetzz, people can do whatever they want.

But yeah, post a pic (both exterior/interior) Or bring it to a tailor and ask what can be done

GQBaller

Reaction score
It was a hypothetical question, as I don't own any military jackets. I am considering buying one.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can be removed (I have had it done). But like everyone pointed out, how easy or hard they are to remove will depend on the particular jacket. Hypothetical tailoring questions without any particualr garment in mind are a bit silly.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
^^ who are oyu again? you need atleast 1k posts to be a dick on this forum!

anyway, depends on how the epaulettes are attached. post a picture and hopefully one of the forums tailors will respond

Jesus **** you have a lot of ******* posts, Teger. Jesus.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll take a look when I get home, but I know they can be removed. It's just a matter of how hard.

I think I remember the epaulette 'straps' running into the seam, so it would involve some work to pull them out and redo the seam.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was a hypothetical question, as I don't own any military jackets. I am considering buying one.

Why buy a military jacket if you're just going to butcher it? OF course, once you buy it you can have any alterations you want to it but it seems odd. Just buy a peacoat or military jacket without epaulets

GQBaller

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Why buy a military jacket if you're just going to butcher it? OF course, once you buy it you can have any alterations you want to it but it seems odd. Just buy a peacoat or military jacket without epaulets

They just look fussy to me. I like the look without epaulettes.

sh0ebox

Reaction score
It should be able to be done. I had some epaulets removed from a knit cardigan I'm wearing right now (I know, not the same thing... but if it can be removed from a knit without messing that up, then I assume it could be removed from a jacket all the same). As long as they're not like... welded into the jacket.

Hopefully it shouldn't be too expensive either. Removing my epaulets only cost a few bucks.

wttm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5

My thoughts exactly.
I'm sure there something else out there you'll like without the epaulettes.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
I removed the epaulettes from an unlined jacket with a seam ripper, no problem. I mostly just did it to experiment though, as I had to send it to the tailor to get the shoulder seams put back together afterwards anyway.

To the people moaning about buying without epaulettes in the first place: If you actually use your brain for three seconds, you might realize several reasons why one would by a jacket with epaulettes and then remove the epaulettes afterwards. Here's a hint: It has nothing to do with the epaulettes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads