• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wunderlic: a major lulz every year

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vince Young!!!!

Does a defensive tackle need a high wunderlic score?

I dont think so.....

Kris Jenkins... all he needs to know is two words "collapse pocket".

I could see a QB or wide receiver or even a MIKE benefit from being smart... but certain positions, not so much

Does running a route require extreme intelligence? I doubt it

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dan Marino I think had an 18.

w.mj

Reaction score
I wonder how many of my humanities classmates could answer the mathy wonderlic questions. I was sitting in a history seminar and one of my classmates said he was in an interview and was asked, "what is the decimal equivalent of 1/32?" His answer, after a few moments of consideration was, "one sixth!"

Swing and a miss, big guy.

mgoose

Reaction score
For the record most players who take this are "coached" on it before hand. I can't remember who it was a few years back, got an abysmal score because he just took the test without being coached on it, but re-did and scored quite well.

I guess it bothers me because it is like "studying" for an IQ test, when it really should just be a test of someone's natural tendencies and problem solving, imho. Then it would be a more accurate barometer.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't this kind of a ridiculous thing to judge a football player on? Rather than watching them on film?

I mean if a middle lineback displays all the right instincts and is the head of his team's defenses, reading offensive exceptionally well, what the **** does it matter what he got on some arbitrary test? They're not tested on football situations are they?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its just a way to be racist and draft more white QBs.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Isn't this kind of a ridiculous thing to judge a football player on? Rather than watching them on film?

I mean if a middle lineback displays all the right instincts and is the head of his team's defenses, reading offensive exceptionally well, what the **** does it matter what he got on some arbitrary test? They're not tested on football situations are they?

It is not the be all, end all, but it can be useful to segment. The patriots love smart players (Bruschi). If you have two athletes with similar physical skills, and one is smarter than the other, you can use the brains of the smart players to do more - playing them out of position, teaching them tendencies so they get the edge on what becomes the critical play, etc.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
It is not the be all, end all, but it can be useful to segment. The patriots love smart players (Bruschi). If you have two athletes with similar physical skills, and one is smarter than the other, you can use the brains of the smart players to do more - playing them out of position, teaching them tendencies so they get the edge on what becomes the critical play, etc.

OK, but wouldn't whether or not they were football-smart have showed up in there career by the time they played 3 years in college? It would seem to me that this is more useful than math problems.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yes, any testing of intelligence is inherently racist.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by crazyquik
Its just a way to be racist and draft more white QBs.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
OK, but wouldn't whether or not they were football-smart have showed up in there career by the time they played 3 years in college? It would seem to me that this is more useful than math problems.

You can judge a certain amount of football smarts by looking at tape, but you can't judge how quickly that player can learn - most college schemes are pretty simple and most guys will have played that scheme for years. You don't have 3 years to learn a pro scheme. Speed and brute strength can make up for many mistakes in the college game. I don't think you realize how much things change from week to week in the pros. Even a d lineman has to take on certain responsibilities on each play. Everything from making sure that he checks the TE or goes wide against a certain blocking look or stays home against another can change based on who you're playing. There ar not universal rules.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Speed and brute strength can make up for many mistakes in the college game. I don't think you realize how much things change from week to week in the pros.

Boss Bailey, linebacker for UGA and then the Detroit Lions (now Broncos), is a perfect example of this. 6'3", 230, and 4.3 speed. What dinged him in the draft was that he 'just ran around a lot'. He could make up for being out of position or having a wrong read with his crazy speed for a linebacker.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Boss Bailey, linebacker for UGA and then the Detroit Lions (now Broncos), is a perfect example of this. 6'3", 230, and 4.3 speed. What dinged him in the draft was that he 'just ran around a lot'. He could make up for being out of position or having a wrong read with his crazy speed for a linebacker.

That has got to be the fastest 40 for a linebacker in history. I believe he ran a 4.35 at his pro day, but a 4.4 at the combine. Pro day stats tend to be biased by a faster track.........

Good point with Bailey.... he is a bust just like Gholston from my beloved Jets

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Wonderlic is useful, but overrated as an evaulative tool. Alex Smith of the 49ers scored a 40, and see how that turned out.

Beta

Reaction score
Worried about Percys stock with that score...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics