• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Curt Schilling: HOFer?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Schilling was 11-2 with a 2.23 post-season ERA in 133 innings. Smoltz was 15-4 and 4 saves with a 2.65 post-season ERA in 207 innings. Both among the best ever.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^gives a lot to charity, presumably to balance the wheel of Fortuna.

i still put him ahead of smoltz. never felt like, "oh ****, smoltz is in. game over."

From 01-04 Smoltz's save percentage was 91.7%, second only to some guy name Eric Gagne.
teacha.gif

Sid

Reaction score
"never felt like, "oh ****, smoltz is in. game over."

As an Astros fan, I have said this unfortunately.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Ws do matter and they define a pitcher. Say for example a pitcher has a 1.03 ERA but is only 10-9 on the season with 10 no-decisions. He will be considered a good pitcher but not a money or great pitcher. The quality of the team is normally a reflection of the perception of the pitcher.

Remember when Clemens pitched for the Astros a few years back........he had at least 10 no-decisions in games he was winning. No one remembers your ERA when your wins aren't there.

No way re: Clemens. I definitely remember how Clemens dominated in ERA a few years back. He was in the running for the Cy Young, lost it to either Webb or Willis (oh, Willis...
musicboohoo[1].gif
).

Although I do agree, the majority of baseball fans will look at wins as some kind of measure of a pitcher's talent. But then there are pitchers like Pavano and Ming-Wang...

needler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
My original comment was more to you saying that you "didn't think of Schilling" when thinking of the best pitchers in the league. I think most people did think of him this way, and for good reason.

In retrospect I think the "****" thing actually is part of it. After the whole bloody sock affair and subsequent canonization, then the stupid blog posts and campaigning for W, as I'm not a sox fan most of the time I heard about him it was in connection to some stupid media issue rather than as a great pitcher. So I suppose I underrate him, but I still feel his regular season body of work is underwhelming. I'm sure he'll get in after a few years if only because the electors will want to reward someone for "doing it the right way" in the roids era.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
he might be a dick in the media but he is a really nice guy. he's the head of his own gaming company and I've talked to him a couple times about the future of MMOs and he's been nothing but polite and friendly

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Schilling didn't even have a signature pitch. Rivera has a great cutter, Johnson an incredible slider, even Mussina has a knuckle-curve. If you base getting into the HOF because of the sock, Bob Gibson pitched with a broken leg.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Schilling didn't even have a signature pitch. Rivera has a great cutter, Johnson an incredible slider, even Mussina has a knuckle-curve. If you base getting into the HOF because of the sock, Bob Gibson pitched with a broken leg.

Basing HOF qualifications on whether or not they have a signature pitch is beyond dumb. What was Greg Maddux's signature pitch, again? Whatever your answer, Curt Schilling's splitter was at least as much a signature.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Schilling is in, IMO. Dominance is one of the things they look for. And he was dominant, especially on the biggest stage. Bert "be home" Blyleven is a much under appreciated pitcher, but he was also next to Jack Morris who always overshadowed him in the publicity department.

That WS win with Big Unit and schilling combining because the d-back bullpen sucked pretty much put both guys in.

Glavine may get in, but I really don't consider him a HOF pitcher. He never had the dominant stuff - never had the ability to take over a postseason game. This repeatedly showed in the playoffs. To me, the dominant pitcher of his era was Hershiser until injury.

Rivera is one of the few I was amazed to see pitch. That bat busting cutter was something else.

CC is one of the few younger guys who can just put a team on his back to victory. Such heart.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Schilling is in, IMO. Dominance is one of the things they look for. And he was dominant, especially on the biggest stage. Bert "be home" Blyleven is a much under appreciated pitcher, but he was also next to Jack Morris who always overshadowed him in the publicity department.

That WS win with Big Unit and schilling combining because the d-back bullpen sucked pretty much put both guys in.

Glavine may get in, but I really don't consider him a HOF pitcher. He never had the dominant stuff - never had the ability to take over a postseason game. This repeatedly showed in the playoffs. To me, the dominant pitcher of his era was Hershiser until injury.

Rivera is one of the few I was amazed to see pitch. That bat busting cutter was something else.

CC is one of the few younger guys who can just put a team on his back to victory. Such heart.

Glavine won 2 Cy Youngs in the Smoltz/Maddux era and you don't think he was dominant?
confused.gif

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
Glavine won 2 Cy Youngs in the Smoltz/Maddux era and you don't think he was dominant?
confused.gif

Check out his WHIP. Check out his WHIP in post season.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Check out his WHIP. Check out his WHIP in post season.
His postseason era was still 3.42, and he pitched in the playoffs for 20 years. You want to penalize him for getting out of jams and giving up less HRs? Smoltz was obviously far more dominant in the posteason, but he's probably the best postseason pitcher of the last 2 decades. Tough comparison. Glavine does have a World Series MVP, so he was clearly dominant at points in his career.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
none of these guys hold a candle to old hoss radbourne or jack chesbro.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads