• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If I can't do curls, what's a good bicep alternative?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every time I curl my left arm with any weight on it, I get a sickening pop once I hit about the 45 degree mark. This is probably the result of dislocating my elbow when I was a kid. I'm no doctor, but it seems to me like it's a tendon rolling over an edge of bone or something like that. I don't know if it actually harmful, but it's disconcerting either way. So if i don't want to do full curls, what are my options for biceps?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well the natural thing to say is: "man up and do curls"

but in reality curls are the last exercise I care about - there is a million other things to do before that.

Can you squat, deadlift, press? cause that's kinda all you need.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you do pullups, chins, deadlifts, iron cross, rows?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
close grip chins and you can also attach a rope to a bunch of plates and pull it towards you.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can do everything except curls and their derivatives. The problem with pullups is I never feel like they have the breaking-down power of curls.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh. Build up your chinning strength and work towards a one-arm chin.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another vote for chin-ups. Rows with palms facing forward will also do the trick.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say get a doctor to see what's up with your arm first. if you can't do curls I don't see how you'd be able to do chins without popping whatever it is that goes pop.

Invicta

Reaction score

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Every time I curl my left arm with any weight on it, I get a sickening pop once I hit about the 45 degree mark. This is probably the result of dislocating my elbow when I was a kid. I'm no doctor, but it seems to me like it's a tendon rolling over an edge of bone or something like that. I don't know if it actually harmful, but it's disconcerting either way. So if i don't want to do full curls, what are my options for biceps?

I have this same thing in my left arm. Although, I don't know if by "pop", you mean that it's audible? Mine is not audible unless you listen very carefully, and happens with any flexion of my arm, regardless of weight load. I don't believe mine is the result of any injury. Also, it has not hindered my ability to lift weights, and I've been doing so for about 9 years.

dimshum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
I can do everything except curls and their derivatives. The problem with pullups is I never feel like they have the breaking-down power of curls.

Seriously? Then wear a chain belt and add weight - I doubt you'll be able to pull your bodyweight + 50 lbs consistently without some serious arm/back strength. As much of a burn you may feel in your biceps from doing curls, you're really not doing all that much.

Chins on the other hand...

pokey07

Reaction score
pull-ups
any back exercises will help work out your biceps
synthol

Dac

Reaction score
unless you have an absolute stack of muscle on you then you should not be doing curls. isolation exercises are only necessary to shape and define large muscles, not for your beginner or even intermediate weightlifter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads