• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

will be visiting Tom's Place for suits (Toronto)

principal

Reaction score
I need to pick up a couple of suits for work in the summer. Any advice what I should ask for? My budget is about 500-700 per suit

freespirit

Reaction score
Are you talking about the clearance sale or whatever at the International Centre this weekend?

needhelp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by freespirit
Are you talking about the clearance sale or whatever at the International Centre this weekend?

What clearance sale? Details please!

principal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by freespirit

not sure about any sale...

registrar1900

Reaction score
I never really found anything at the last two warehouse sales I went to...but hope springs eternal. (below borrowed from another site)

Description:
FEATURING Men's Suits 5 for 1 less another $250! Men's Sports Jackets from $50, Men's Dress Pants from $50, Men's Cashmere Sports Jackets $249, Women's Spring Designer Samples 70% OFF, Selected Women's Spring Arrivals up to 70% OFF.

Sales Date:
03/25/2009 ~ 03/29/2009

Hours:
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 11-8 Saturday 10-6 Sunday 11-5

6900 Airport Road, Hall 6
Mississauga
L4V1E8

Telephone:
416 - 596 - 0297

Albern

Reaction score
Hey Principal,

I posted a few comments back on this thread http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...95#post1840395. My comments especially should give you some idea as to what Tom's Place is all about.

You will be able to find suits in your quoted price range but they are of lesser quality than those suits most people prefer to talk about (and with good reason). But if you're just looking for something decent for weekly work wear you should be okay.

principal

Reaction score
any specific brands I should look out for in the 500-700 range?

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by principal
any specific brands I should look out for in the 500-700 range?

Usually when I'm there my only focus is on Corneliani or Pal Zileri since they are by far the lowest retail prices available in the city. Suits are broken out into different tiers based on a combination of price and quality where the notion of "you get what you paid for" does apply to some degree.

Suits below $700 are mainly found on the first floor (even lower than that I think) and are all fused. Arnold Brant and Sean Jean (stay away from) are the only brands that I can remember at this point. Above ~$700 takes you to the second floor but I have no familiarity with what's there. Those pieces are also fused but to this day I can't see a discernible difference between pieces on the first vs. second floor so you might want to consider saving you're money.

Would you by any chance consider sport coats rather than suits? For a little over $700 you can get a nice Corneliani jacket instead.

One more piece of advice; take your time in a store like Tom's - there's a lot to go through and you might find a great steal if you look hard enough.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by registrar1900
I never really found anything at the last two warehouse sales I went to...but hope springs eternal. (below borrowed from another site)

Description:
FEATURING Men's Suits 5 for 1 less another $250! Men's Sports Jackets from $50, Men's Dress Pants from $50, Men's Cashmere Sports Jackets $249, Women's Spring Designer Samples 70% OFF, Selected Women's Spring Arrivals up to 70% OFF.

Sales Date:
03/25/2009 ~ 03/29/2009

Hours:
Wednesday, Thursday and Friday 11-8 Saturday 10-6 Sunday 11-5

6900 Airport Road, Hall 6
Mississauga
L4V1E8

Telephone:
416 - 596 - 0297

What is the other website?

GucciKid

Reaction score
I would take a trip out to Holt's Last Call at Vaughn Mills. They had some nice stuff there last time I was there, although I didn't browse the suits too much, but you might be able to get some real steals on a fully canvassed suit for 500-700.

Last time I was there they had a number of RLPL suits for 750. All were pinstripes I believe, but it should give you an example of what prices might be like.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

needhelp

Reaction score
If anyone ends up going - please let us know if you find anything decent!
smile.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never got a chance to go. Did anyone go? Was there anything good?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think EL72 made it up there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads