• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe color to match a navy/midnight blue suit

PeterEliot

Reaction score
What color Oxfords should I wear with a true navy/midnight blue suit?

(1) Black
(2) Deep red-brown (exact name escapes me at the moment)

Thanks always and you guys are invaluable for newbies like me.

rs232

Reaction score
I believe you refer to oxblood? Not sure what "true navy" is (can someone post a pic of a fausse navy jacket to explain?), but both work. Depends on shirt and tie.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True navy means so dark it almost looks like black, as opposed to what most people think of as navy blue which is lighter.

I would have thought either shoe colour would be fine. The dull do not wear a brown shoe with a blue suit, but the more interesting do.

guster

Reaction score
I mix up the shoes with the true Navy. I think either is fine, so to me it is more interesting to try both. If you are going for the one standout look, then I would go with the brown/red.

rs232

Reaction score
I liked it back in the day when navy was navy and blue was blue.
frown.gif

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
An oxblood or burgundy shoe would be the more sophisticated way to go. I got into a debate with a peer in the IT industry over black shoes vs. "cordovan" with a navy or charcoal suit. He argued strongly for black shoes. I argued that the oxblood would of been a more sophisticated choice and communicates that you pay attention to detail and can think "outside the box". I noted that my lawyer, a sophisticated Italian gentleman, wears brown shoes with his grey suits. My lawyer also makes more than both our salaries combined.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rs232
I liked it back in the day when navy was navy and blue was blue.
frown.gif

I don't think anything has changed technically, Navy is still navy, just most people don't realise how dark navy really is/should be. Some clothes are described as navy that are clearly just a dark blue, I have seen a few garments described as "true" navy to clarify this, so I understood what the op meant.

Midnight blue is a little different though I think, a richer colour generally reserved for DJs, and it should look like black under artificial light, I might not wear brown shoes with that.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear either burgundy or black with my navy suits.

sswiseguy

Reaction score
depends I would go for the wow factor and wear the oxblood coloured shoes however if you wanna be lowkey wear the black....I find black shoes will almost make the suit look more black than it already does....if you want the suit to look navy wear the oxbloods

mdg137

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sswiseguy
I find black shoes will almost make the suit look more black than it already does....if you want the suit to look navy wear the oxbloods

+1

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads