• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How dark should a navy suit be?

PeterEliot

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that it should be as close to black as possible without actually being black.

Upon reflection, that advice makes sense to me. I own a Paul Stewart blazer I really like. It is a conservative, but immediately noticeable, shade of navy (i.e., several shades darker than the typical blue jeans, but in no danger of being mistaken for black). I find it a very appropriate color for a blazer, but I have this idea that a navy suit should be a bit darker than the typical navy blazer. A somewhat bright navy blazer will only cover your top half and can benefit from the contrast with differently colored pants, while the suit will cover your whole length below the neck, and therefore had better not come off looking too blue. Well, at least that's what I got to thinking.

The thing is, I'm trying to buy a navy suit online. It needs to be on the elegant side. Church and daytime meetings. NOT evening wear. NOT black. Navy. I found these deals on a couple of Paul Stewarts on a Seoul dept. store home page. Both suits used to be $1000+ and are now available for $300-400. (Magnify the little pics or roll down for larger images.)

http://www.lotteimall.com/product/Pr...i_code=2407130
http://www.lotteimall.com/product/Pr...i_code=2332308

Do the ones above look too dark to you? Shall I go with a lighter shade, like this one below?
http://www.lotteimall.com/product/Pr...i_code=2407138

Now, I do realize shades usually don't quite look themselves on a monitor. So here is a genuinely black suit for comparison:
http://www.lotteimall.com/product/Pr...i_code=2407169

I find the top two appealing. What I'd like opinions on is whether they strike you as too dark or black for daytime suits.

Thanks for your input.

Eliot

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterEliot
I think I read somewhere that it should be as close to black as possible without actually being black.

What you've described is midnight blue--sometimes used for dinner jackets because of the adage that it looks better under artificial lighting. Navy is lighter.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
The beauty of a deep navy suit is in its versatility. It's sophisticated and formal, but goes with nearly anything. Color can be relative so the best way to draw out the blue in a true navy suit is through using other blue tones either in the shirt or tie. I agree with the above poster, dark blue is NOT navy blue.

There is not enough distinction between the two amongst designers and most consumers.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Need to consider your hair color, skin tone etc. as to what is best for you. Midnight is too dressy for daytime but then I have a hard time and rarely wear a navy suit for daytime use. When I do, the cloth usually has a pattern or is textured.

gopherblue

Reaction score
Not to revive an old thread, but what about blazers? I am having a MTM blazer made, and have the choice of navy or dark navy. Should a blazer, which will be used more casually than a suit, be a lighter/brighter blue (navy) or would dark navy give it a dressier look and be more functional? I see using it in situations from charcoal wool trousers to taupe/beige chinos to denim jeans. I am leaning towards dark navy, but worried it may be too dark.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a matter of personal preference. I don't care for the darker navy blues myself.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gopherblue
Not to revive an old thread, but what about blazers? I am having a MTM blazer made, and have the choice of navy or dark navy. Should a blazer, which will be used more casually than a suit, be a lighter/brighter blue (navy) or would dark navy give it a dressier look and be more functional? I see using it in situations from charcoal wool trousers to taupe/beige chinos to denim jeans. I am leaning towards dark navy, but worried it may be too dark.

Pics would help. I don't think a blazer should be midnight blue if that is the only dark blue you have got.

gopherblue

Reaction score
I dont have swatches, so pics would be hard (and the color never comes out quite right anyway. I'm looking at the Gladson/Taylor & Stewart Canterbury Super 120s suiting, which is 1% cashmere. It comes in "Navy" and "Dark Navy." Just looking at the swatches, I kind of felt the Navy was too blue, whereas the Dark Navy was more subtly blue.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Navy is quite vague...It goes from really blue to the darker shade and tone of the midnight blue...
Have you tried both of them ?
It will also depends on your skin tone and the colour of your hair and eyes...

PhillyDude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Midnight blue is the way to go.

I don't know about that. After all, midnight blue is often referred to as "blacker than black".....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads