• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Midnight blue dinner jacket, what color bow tie?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote here for a black bowtie.

I own and love my Luciano Barbera midnight blue tuxedo (black grosgrain lapels; I bought it MTM, but the same suit was available RTW), and pair it with a black bowtie.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Something tells me that between 10/2006 and today, matt already bought and wore a bow tie.

LMAO whoops. Well, perhaps he's the indecisive type.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
As I've posted elsewhere here, you guys with the midnight blue dinner jackets (blue or black silk lapels or collar): what color formal trousers do you wear with them? Any of you wear black trousers with the midnight blue jacket?

Pants match.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you can I would go for a tie and vest of the same color as the jacket, you should be able to find something online and if not them I would just go with a black tie then even though black and navy or dark blue are not really match that well.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thread revival: if a midnight blue dinner suit is trimmed in midnight blue grosgrain, should the bowtie be black or would it make sense to have one made out of the same midnight blue grosgrain? My first thought is that a matching midnight blue bowtie would match too much.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Black.

Thanks. In satin? Seems like something smooth is in order.

Mariano refuses to trim my midnight blue dinner suit with black grosgrain. He says that's what singers wear. I'm sad because I thought the contrast would be cool.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Thanks. In satin? Seems like something smooth is in order.

Mariano refuses to trim my midnight blue dinner suit with black grosgrain. He says that's what singers wear. I'm sad because I thought the contrast would be cool.

Black grosgrain.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Black grosgrain.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Is that why they call it black tie?

Won't black grosgrain clash with the midnight blue grosgrain trim on the jacket?

videocrew

Reaction score
Won't black grosgrain clash with the midnight blue grosgrain trim on the jacket?
I'd think it would. I think you can mix color AND texture here, but not color OR texture. So if you're doing blue grosgrain, I'd do blue grosgrain or black satin. I think their is a little danger of looking like Air Force mess dress if you do that much blue though.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Yes, but that is part of the charm.

Eschew the colored bow for public events.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads