• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Guide to Slim Fit Shirts

JT82

Reaction score
Does anyone know the body length on the H&C Curtis slim fits, size med.?

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally gave up and just took all my dress shirts to a recommended tailor and I couldn't be happier.

I have a very athletic build and finding a shirt that's small enough at the waist and wide enough at the shoulders was impossible...they simply don't make them. From now on I'm just buying shirts that fit my shoulders and letting my tailor take care of the rest.

$20 per shirt alteration is a small price to pay for a perfect fitting shirt.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tricky
I finally gave up and just took all my dress shirts to a recommended tailor and I couldn't be happier.

I have a very athletic build and finding a shirt that's small enough at the waist and wide enough at the shoulders was impossible...they simply don't make them. From now on I'm just buying shirts that fit my shoulders and letting my tailor take care of the rest.

$20 per shirt alteration is a small price to pay for a perfect fitting shirt.

EXACTLY!!! I have realized the same thing. A good tailor can make a shirt look almost custom-made.

Post some pics, please.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just the US shops not stocking the stuff? I've got a 20" difference between shoulders and waist. Slim fit Italian shirts from many brands fit just fine. Even the non slim aren't too blousy.

OTOH if you're going to pay $20 for alteration plus the price of the shirt I'd consider MTM. Even if you're starting with a cheaper shirt the final price isn't going to be that different.

cgo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
EXACTLY!!! I have realized the same thing. A good tailor can make a shirt look almost custom-made.

Post some pics, please.

I have been doing the same....

The only slim fit shirts I buy OTR which requires no alterations whatsoever is the Dolce and Gabbana (Slim Fit) line.....they fit me perfectly.

In the past I have used the PRL Custom fit as my base and either purt darts in or closed the back yoke.

joshaugh

Reaction score
J. Press shirts tend to fit a bit more slim than most standard shirts and are very reasonably priced considering the quality, style etc.

Hermitedge

Reaction score
LL Bean trim fit shirts. Anyone know if these are worth looking into if you're into slimmy fits, or is trim fit another way of saying not as baggy?

Also, how are the LL Bean windbreakers fit wise?

kaczmar2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by monty10
As I understand it the "Francomb" range is the slimmest range of TM Lewin shirts and comprises of two styles: the "milan slim fit" and "rovereto" which is slimmer still. Which one of these did you buy?

Asked this same question of a TM Lewin rep and this is the reposnse I received via email:

Dear xxxxxx.

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Slim Fit shirts are the same fit as the Milan shirts. They only differ on style and design.

If you have any other enquiries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Jack Simmons
Customer Service Advisor
[email protected]

So, it looks like (Slim Fit = Francomb Milan) > Francomb Rovereto.

Jthaeler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
yes.
And most of those who are not overweight have the "healthy" habit of pursuing extensive muscle building workout which also lead to fitting problems. See example above of 41" chest & 28" waist.
Prada makes slim dress shirts.

!luc

I personally find it weight lifting healthy...I can't achieve the same strength gains by boxing or grappling alone. Guess it depends if you just lift weights to gain weight or if it's functional muscle. Either way, I think that MTM shirts are the only way to go if you have body proportions like mine: 44 chest 29 waist. There is NO RTW or OTR shirt that will fit these dimensions without pinching the shoulders or having the blouse effect in the back... even the fiinamores and barbas!

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaczmar2
Asked this same question of a TM Lewin rep and this is the reposnse I received via email:

Dear xxxxxx.

Thank you for your enquiry.

The Slim Fit shirts are the same fit as the Milan shirts. They only differ on style and design.

If you have any other enquiries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Jack Simmons
Customer Service Advisor
[email protected]

So, it looks like (Slim Fit = Francomb Milan) > Francomb Rovereto.

Yes, their Milan shirts are slimmer than their Roverto. It doesn't matter to me because I have them taken in at the sides anyway. Very few OTR shirts have even fit me the way I want them to, without some alteration.

kaczmar2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Yes, their Milan shirts are slimmer than their Roverto..

I believe this is incorrect - Rovereto is their SLIMMEST fitting shirt:

"Rovereto Fully FittedThe Rovereto range has an even closer body fit than the Milan.":

http://www.tmlewin.co.uk/Content.asp...nstruction.htm

What the SA cleared up was that Francomb Milan and Original Slim Fit are the same fit.

Hence, Original Slim Fit > (bigger than) Francomb Rovereto.

icedmocha

Reaction score
PSA- BB (outlet) has slim fits (regular line, not bf or 346) for 19.99.

epliohunk

Reaction score
How does BB in boy's size fits?

I see that they go up to size 20. I'm from Canada and I've never tried their clothes, but perhaps a size 18-20 can be similar to a slim-fit small or x-small?

atroopan

Reaction score
Just another Hell yeah for the TM Levin Slim fits - I went with windsor 15.5, but duke of york looks pretty good too. Fit just a tad, not noticable, looser than my Zara's 15 so I'm not changing a thing.
I missed the big sale, but still manged to get 4 for 100 lbs. I did blow some more on matching ties and a couple cufflinks too though, but still I thought it was quite the value. Hope they don't skrink much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads