• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proposed Referendum Policy

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think of having a referendum whenever SF is about to be featured in a magazine or some such?

The features always trigger a stream of mindless n00bs who do things like posting half-naked pictures of themselves and asking us to recommend sources for purple suits, canes and Belvederes.

Referendums would allow SF's members to speak. They'd serve as non-binding counsel for the admins before agreeing to let the name be used in magazines.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea, but it's not really up to us is it.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What recent publication was the Forvm featured in anyway?

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
What recent publication was the Forvm featured in anyway?
Maxim, apparently, according to the guy who posted the disturbing photos.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not think J cares who comes, more hits is better for him no matter if you have to look at a couple interesting photos?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
It's not our board. It's J's.

True. On that note, do these magazines even ask J's permission before featuring SF? Or is it as much a surprised to him when it comes out as everyone else?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
noobs like those don't last anyway, they're just temporary disturbances here.

SwedishFish

Reaction score
This proposal does not make sense. I am fairly certain that the journalists writing these articles do not ask for permission to write about blogs, forums, etc. When I freelanced, consent was only necessary for individual interviewees.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah- because J certainly doesn't want the site to grow and prosper (and make $$)
dozingoff.gif

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
noobs like those don't last anyway, they're just temporary disturbances here.

Actually, some do. They stick around, take the time to learn and become productive and contributing members of the community. If I remember, one of the first great waves of SF membership was after the forum was featured in the NYT.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seeing references to purple suits and disturbing pictures, I sort of want to see them, anyone got a link? so long as its only disturbing sartorially, or in a humorous way.

Back on topic, you can't really stop journalists writing about the site. I don't see why you would want to, as a fairly new member myself I don't think any barriers to entry for new people are a good idea. The openness of this site is one of the things that appeals, opposed to somewhere like the London lounge.

I think that roundly abusing them till they leave or change rather than stopping them from coming at all is more the style of this forum, at least from what I have seen, and it works - and can be quite amusing.

eponymous

Reaction score
As a "noob" here but a former working journalist (I have since abandoned that line of work for greener pastures), I can tell you unequivocally that newspapers and magazines do not need, or typically stop to ask ask for permission to publish content about a website. A website is published on the internet and therefore considered to be in the public space and fair game for comentary whether you like it or not. No "referendum" is ever going to disuade any journalist worth their salt from going to print.

That said, the flood of noobs is a always a problem in forums, and this one is no different. And they (or should I say, "we"), are not all people who just want to post pics of how badass they look in their black four button unvented suits. Besides people, both fine upstanding citizens and astoshing idiots alike will find the forum on their own anyway. I myself stubled accross here while trying to find info on MTM shirts and quickly got hooked.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eponymous
As a "noob" here but a former working journalist (I have since abandoned that line of work for greener pastures), I can tell you unequivocally that newspapers and magazines do not need, or typically stop to ask ask for permission to publish content about a website. A website is published on the internet and therefore considered to be in the public space and fair game for comentary whether you like it or not. No "referendum" is ever going to disuade any journalist worth their salt from going to print.

That said, the flood of noobs is a always a problem in forums, and this one is no different. And they (or should I say, "we"), are not all people who just want to post pics of how badass they look in their black four button unvented suits. Besides people, both fine upstanding citizens and astoshing idiots alike will find the forum on their own anyway. I myself stubled accross here while trying to find info on MTM shirts and quickly got hooked.

In what industry do you work now? I'm always interested in industries besides journalism which use the journalistic skillset.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads