• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke from Singapore (pic heavy!)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gshen
GBR - Other than what i mentioned, I am quite happy with the fit and would not change it too much. My next project will probably be a boring SB, 2B notch lapel and a waistcoat without lapels. Once I'm done with the basics, I might consider a SB, 1B peak lapel which would be interesting!
:

Thanks I will certainly look forward to seeing your pictures as this garment is made.

rsgould

Reaction score
This is a bit late to the party. Gshen how is that fabric wearing for you? Is the fresco 100% wool or do you have any mohair in it?

I need something that wears cool myself, but will resist wrinkles to a reasonable extent.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, looks great! The drape of the trousers needs to be cleaner. Overall, good job and congrats on the suit.

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
^Thank you!

Originally Posted by rsgould
This is a bit late to the party. Gshen how is that fabric wearing for you? Is the fresco 100% wool or do you have any mohair in it?

I need something that wears cool myself, but will resist wrinkles to a reasonable extent.

The suit is 100% wool. Unfortunately I have not much to compare the fabric against as I am still in the process of building up my professional wardrobe. However, I recently received my order of fabric from J&J Minnis' Rangoon collection, not made up yet, and I am certain that the fresco of similar weight is going to wear much cooler in the heat/humidity than the worsted (Rangoon).

If you are interested in the same fresco fabric, the seller on ebay still has more for sale here and here.

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
Looks pretty good! I may be in the minority here, but I think significant waist suppression negatively impacts the look when one's hips are relatively wide compared to the shoulders as the OP's appear to be - as a guy, I think this doesn't look as nice. In this case, a lesser degree of waist suppression would de-emphasize the width of the hips, IMHO.

Looking good my friend. I've heard Singapore had pretty good tailors but I don't think the waist suppression emphasizes his hips, it's not like he has that much of a figure (no offense OP, I'm on the same boat as you lol). For his body shape, I think it works in his favour

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats how shoulders should look! Textbook!

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
^^Thanks folks! ginghaman if you own an oxford suit, i'm sure there is some interest in seeing detailed pics as well!

teaser pics of my second suit from iris:

P1050486.JPG

Basically the same as the first suit, but with a lowered button stance and pick stitching (by hand). The 3rd piece, a 6 button DB vest with huge shawl lapels and black watch plaid back, will be done in maybe 2 weeks.

Will post pics of the completed product, along with pics of my brother's and a friend's suits from the same tailor when everything is completed in a couple of weeks -- can't wait!

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good fit, if (as I presume) you like an extremely fitted cut. Just a few observations: (i) perhaps there should be a bit more drape in the back, so that the lining wouldn't show; (ii) the back of the collar is not finished like my or my father's bespoke coats (all Italian tailors), but rather like RTW ones; (iii) I don't understand this trend for coats that don't cover one's seat.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR
Quite normal in hot climates - was also very comon in parts of the US for RTW at one time.
For those of us used to year round temperatures from 30-75 F, Singapore is unbearably hot 90% of the year. Not only is it hot, it's also unbearably humid as well. A deadly combination that saps your energy and wipes out all drive. Even wearing a long sleeved dress shirt is an invitation for heat stroke, as it traps the heat generated by the body. Have a drink in the shade and you'll sweat it out within 30 minutes. Air conditioning is almost considered a human right in Singapore.

evpj2L

Reaction score
I've been looking to have something made that is similarly slim yet professional looking. How wide is the leg opening?

gshen

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
A good fit, if (as I presume) you like an extremely fitted cut. Just a few observations: (i) perhaps there should be a bit more drape in the back, so that the lining wouldn't show; (ii) the back of the collar is not finished like my or my father's bespoke coats (all Italian tailors), but rather like RTW ones; (iii) I don't understand this trend for coats that don't cover one's seat.

Thanks for the comments! I am curious to know what distinguishes a RTW collar from a bespoke collar?

Originally Posted by wetnose
Air conditioning is almost considered a human right in Singapore.

Well said. Seems like you have been here personally!

Originally Posted by Impressive
You look very professional, like a sharp young businessman that can get a job anywhere he wants. Nice suit!

Sure hope that's the case when I graduate from college in 2 years time!

Originally Posted by evpj2L
I've been looking to have something made that is similarly slim yet professional looking. How wide is the leg opening?

7.5"x2 laid flat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads