• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Old) Ask a Question, Get an Answer - please ask all quick questions here

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JCrew question:

I got a polo and a button-up as a gift and they are both about an inch or 1 1/2 inches too wide. Other than that, the fit is spot-on. If I wash them, will they shrink or should I take them straight to the tailor?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
JCrew question:

I got a polo and a button-up as a gift and they are both about an inch or 1 1/2 inches too wide. Other than that, the fit is spot-on. If I wash them, will they shrink or should I take them straight to the tailor?

Go to the tailor.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Go to the tailor.

Sounds good.

Another short question: JCrew Secret Wash button-downs...okay to wear untucked? It says it has a "shirt-tail hem" which is kind of a red light for me. I was trying to get some good button-downs that I could wear untucked this summer with shorts and jeans.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Tailoring price question. Assuming i can find a decent tailor in gainesville or Orlando, how much would it cost to do the following to a pair of linen pants:

- Hem about 4"
- Take the waist in a touch (like half inch)
- Slim pants in the thighs maybe a 1/4 inch (maybe darting or something? i dunno what i'm talking about)

They're not that big in the thighs, but i think would fit a bit more flattering if just barely slimmed up. They're unfinished so they certainly need to be hemmed though

sjnv

Reaction score
How do these Sperry Topsiders really fit? (not sure who to trust on their reviews)

3832-27125-d.jpg

http://canada.zappos.com/n/p/p/12817...unt/50.html#mr

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're pretty much true to size...I got them in white and a lot of reviews said size down a half, so I did, but they were a bit tight.

Hermitedge

Reaction score
LL Bean trim fit shirts. Anyone know if these are worth looking into if you're into slimmy fits, or is trim fit another way of saying not as baggy?

Also, how are the LL Bean windbreakers fit wise?

genericman

Reaction score
which one: filson 256 or 257? where: to get for best prices
21ozlw1.jpg
i've only seen the 258 in person, which is huge for a daily bag. i'm looking mainly for a schoolbag (laptop, phone, sunglasses, snacks, couple 1 subject notebooks)

Largo

Reaction score
Can't speak for which model you'd prefer, but you can cop a discount through Crane's via the forum-they're an affiliate.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe APC themselves have a French site.

Obligatory disclaimer: Crate are a better buy at that price, and with our discount probably will come out to more or less the same as what you'd pay for APC, maybe even less.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Tailoring price question. Assuming i can find a decent tailor in gainesville or Orlando, how much would it cost to do the following to a pair of linen pants:

- Hem about 4"
- Take the waist in a touch (like half inch)
- Slim pants in the thighs maybe a 1/4 inch (maybe darting or something? i dunno what i'm talking about)

They're not that big in the thighs, but i think would fit a bit more flattering if just barely slimmed up. They're unfinished so they certainly need to be hemmed though

Each procedure cost $5-10, and I'd say you can get everything done together for $20-25 for one pair of pants.

Slimming down the thighs is most easily done at the outseam.

acconrad

Reaction score
I saw a Ralph Lauren Black Label charcoal suit in my size for $700. Deal or no deal?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Dear Levis,

Thank you so much for bringing the 511 twills back into production.

I already own both the 'brittish military khaki', and the 'marine blue', as they were offered last year, and was curious as to whether there were plans to produce these trousers in any other colored material?

I really like the fit quite a lot, and the details and would love to see a dark grey, or olive drab pant with these specs.

Thank you for your time.

Is this something worth sending Levi's? I know some larger companies seek consumer feedback... and I would buy another pair of 511's with very little hesitation if I didn't already own both of the colors being offered.

I had called 1-800-USA-LEVI multiple times after I'd found the two pairs I own now in the hopes I'd be able to find some different colors and was unable to. And while I know some of the higher end brands carry essentially the exact trouser I am looking for, I know they'd be out of range for me. And I know that the 511 works for me.

So should I continue to contact (harass) Levis in the hopes they'll hear me and release them in different colorways?

Or should I STFU and just take what I own to a tailor and have them make pants with 511 specs out of my preffered colored twill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads