• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I or shouldn't I buy... (clothing item)?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I couldn't seem to find the 'this or that' thread...

I don't know **** about watches, I just know that I can find a watch similar to the JCrew/Timex one for less than 150.

I did a little looking on ebay... can someone who knows a thing or two give me some feedback on my choices or suggestions as to a solid watch that can be had for 75$ or less?

seiko 5

stocker and yale

expensive timex

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ you can get the military Timex for dirt cheap if you know anyone who has access to army supply store.

Out of those I'd recommend a Seiko, but current Seiko 5 with military / aviator dial such as this (also available in blue, green, and beige dial) or this. Going prices are between $50-$75 for brand new.

Why? They're (1) automatic, a big plus in case you get more into watches in the future, and (2) of better quality.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
cdgskirt.jpg
gather.jpg
gather1.jpg

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
For you?

Alright, i've seen mens skirts on cdg, n(n), yohj (?), rick, i think ann, and some others for a few design seasons now. It's not a new thing fashion wise, but it's just barely starting to make its way from runway to the street. I don't like the design or silhouette on the first one. I think the way n(n) and cdg did some was better with the shape to be worn with full or just above ankle tights. The 2nd one i also am not a huge fan of for a guy. I'd pass and look for a better skirt if i were you (that must sound weird but i'm serious)

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the CDG one is much more wearable, but the second one is cool in terms of brash androgeny.

The second one could be badass with black Rick sneakers and a Rick tank (and arm tattoos a la Casius on SZ)

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I was going to wear the RO one backwards hiked up with the snakeboots (and somedays with pants under).

Largo

Reaction score
Well, sucks to follow up a Socal post, but hey: I stumbled across this Lanvin blazer a little while ago for a ridiculous price, and picked it up. Everytime I look at it, I think "Man, that's sweet." But when I try it on, I'm not sure if it's rock-able outside of MC (which I pretty much never wear). I love the fabric, and it seems like if nothing else I'd be kicking myself down the line about getting rid of it if, for whatever reason, I need a blazer.
lanvin1.jpg
fabric1.jpg
So, salvageable with tailoring? Keep it in case? Or....flip it?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Flip it. Jacket is WAAAAYYY too structured to wear with jeans. Looks one size too big on you too (shoulder and chest, in particular). The sort of alterations necessary to make it look good (removing shoulder pads, among other things) will cost a good sum.

Largo

Reaction score
Well, the sleeves (a feature I've never seen before) aren't finished either, I assume so they have optional surgeon's cuffs. I figured I'd go full-on when I took it into a tailor for the sleeves, so yeah-I thought taking it in in the torso might be fairly simple, but either way I suspect it's too long as well.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get shoulders, chest and length altered but it won't be cheap and will change the jacket drastically (I'd go so far as to say it won't be a lanvin anymore). It's up to you how much you like the jacket/fabric as to whether its worth it, but keep this in mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads