• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is econometrics the hardest undergrad class i will ever take?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Or maybe you just took state-school econometrics.
laugh.gif

University of Chicago metrics...

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Depends on what you are majoring in. If its economics (and I am assuming it is if you are taking econometrics), chances are no, it won't be the hardest undergraduate class you take.

+1000. As an undergraduate, probably the hardest class I had was Quantum Mechanics because it is really important to get a good teacher - you have to learn to think very differently from classical mechanics and my instructor wasn't very good.

In grad school, as a EE major, the hardest classes I took were Solid State Physics II and Electromagnetics using J.D. Jackson as the text. It is one of those things like being in military combat - it is not easy to describe how tough it is but everyone who has done it will nod in agreement.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some of the assignments in Computer Systems were really hard but they were designed that way (binary logic puzzles) or just very new/different material with little outside resources (assignments involving decompiling/assembly code insertion/buffer overflows).

You can really do some crazy **** with pointers

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Theoretical or applied?

I have nothing kind to say about theoretical econometrics but liked my applied 'metrics course. They were also doctoral, not undergrad.

This is what I remember about theoretical 'metrics: the delta method. Mind you, not what it is, just the name. On the other hand, I seem to remember enough about applied 'metrics to worry when I see regression results--sometimes things just feel wrong. And then I can figure it out.

But you could try Game Theory. It can be very hard. Or really easy.

b

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
University of Chicago metrics...

Ah makes sense. I was thinking more along lines of Ivy League econometrics. Makes sense that it was a little easier for you!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rdawson808
Theoretical or applied?

I have nothing kind to say about theoretical econometrics but liked my applied 'metrics course. They were also doctoral, not undergrad.

This is what I remember about theoretical 'metrics: the delta method. Mind you, not what it is, just the name. On the other hand, I seem to remember enough about applied 'metrics to worry when I see regression results--sometimes things just feel wrong. And then I can figure it out.

True. Applied econometrics is reasonable; the theory makes me vomit.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Ah makes sense. I was thinking more along lines of Ivy League econometrics. Makes sense that it was a little easier for you!
laugh.gif

Oh, snap!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I hated game theory. Hated it with an absolute passion. I think I lasted three weeks in that class. Oh, I never took econometrics in school, because I have an unnatural hatred for statistics.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I hated game theory. Hated it with an absolute passion. I think I lasted three weeks in that class.

I think that might depend on the Prof. I, for one, loved Game Theory in my Industrial Organization class. It had the flavor of Freakonomics.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I think that might depend on the Prof. I, for one, loved Game Theory in my Industrial Organization class. It had the flavor of Freakonomics.
I actually like the subject, I just hated the class, so you are probably right as to why.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I actually like the subject, I just hated the class, so you are probably right as to why.
The last econs class I took in undergrad studies was Developmental Economics. It had all the makings of a really interesting course and subject, but the lecturer was just horrible and put me of the entire field for at least 10 years. Actually, I almost wish I hadn't had so many good history lecturers ....

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The hardest I've taken is 20th century British & Irish poetry.
rimshot.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
rimshot.gif

You'll disappoint me if you say you were sober for most of that class.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
rimshot.gif

No shame there. Were I required to take that class, I'd think the same. I detest high volumes of coerced reading; Intro to Comparative Lit is one of my worse college experience.

jerms24k

Reaction score
All of my econ classes were easy for me. It was the classes outside of my major I did bad in...probably because they required attendance.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
No shame there. Were I required to take that class, I'd think the same. I detest high volumes of coerced reading; Intro to Comparative Lit is one of my worse college experience.

I got my second worst grade in undergrad in a comparative literature class. The Prof was an uppity tool, and I thought the subject--the comparative study of the nature of Evil in literature--was a ******* colossal waste of my time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads