• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Career Choice

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After being out of work for over two months, I expect two offers next week. However, they are in unrelated fields. Assuming I receive both:

One will be from a third-party recruitment agency. This is what I was doing previously and I am pretty good at it. Yearly income should be close to six figures after I get my client base back up (there's a small base and I plan to negotiate a draw). I would work in the city centre, would have to ride the bus to work, and would likely work nine or ten-hour days.

The other will be from a real estate development and investment company - they bring investors on board and do their own developments. They started with single-family housing developments and are now doing condos, resort condos, as well as buying foreclosed properties in the US and renting them out. Their business model is set up to take advantage of the current economy and the eventual, at least partial, recovery. I have never worked in this field before but the role is similar to what I do as a recruiter, effectively selling opportunities. (In that sense both jobs are arguably scummy.) I don't know what my total income would be but the indication is that there's a high base and little commission. I would ask for a number comparable to what I would earn in an average year as a recruiter. I would drive to work, but travel across the country often, at least a week per month on the road, and work evenings regularly.

Both jobs allow me to wear proper business wear, so there is no risk of not being able to wear my ties.

I am in my mid-20s, and am not in a committed relationship.

O forum, please light my path (even though I think my mind is made up).

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, there're a shitload of job hunters, a shitload of recruiters, and little jobs. Recruiter = hungry.

At least with the other gig, you still might have a chance to make real $$$.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're in your mid-20's so you can try out the real estate investment job. If it doesn't work out, given your current situation, the impact will be minor. At least you come away with valuable experience.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I still can't figure out why anyone would actually want to be a headhunter.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

Because it still gives you a solid paycheck every two weeks?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
You're in your mid-20's so you can try out the real estate investment job. If it doesn't work out, given your current situation, the impact will be minor. At least you come away with valuable experience.

I agree with this.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend the real estate job. My friends who have worked in real estate development/acquisitions are far and away the most career-satisfied individuals I know. And why wouldn't they be? There are very few ways to work less and make more money than getting in with a good real estate group.

Great paycheck
Little intelligence needed
Short Working Hours
Culture of partying and having a good time

I often wished I'd taken that route out of college instead of going into finance.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am leaning toward the RE job basically for all the reasons posted, so I'm surprised the poll is leaning the other way. Anyway thanks all.

No matter what anyone tells you, it's about the money. A good executive head hunter will almost certainly earn several hundred thousand dollars per year, and they may have nothing more than a BA. Straight out of college, with the right company, comp plan and attitude, six figures is easy. Again, not bad for someone without a professional or numbers-related degree.

Other than that, it's a business with more than its fair share of liars and scoundrels.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung

No matter what anyone tells you, it's about the money. A good executive head hunter will almost certainly earn several hundred thousand dollars per year, and they may have nothing more than a BA. Straight out of college, with the right company, comp plan and attitude, six figures is easy. Again, not bad for someone without a professional or numbers-related degree.

Other than that, it's a business with more than its fair share of liars and scoundrels.

Yup. A friend's wife works as a headhunter in the medical field. I don't think she's made less than $300k/year in the last 5 years.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Yup. A friend's wife works as a headhunter in the medical field. I don't think she's made less than $300k/year in the last 5 years.

But of course, as you said, right now is a terrible time to be in the business. So probably worth trying something else out and coming back to it if I really want to.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But of course, as you said, right now is a terrible time to be in the business. So probably worth trying something else out and coming back to it if I really want to.

I think it depends on the field. There's still a huge demand in the medical field, and if you have a big enough book of contacts, you're--I hate to say it--recession proof.

That said, I've seen some desperate legal recruiters lately.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am leaning toward the RE job basically for all the reasons posted, so I'm surprised the poll is leaning the other way. Anyway thanks all.

Damn. I had no idea. I'd still hate the job, personally.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since one of the guys looking for a law job posted an epilogue, I thought I would as well.

The head hunting firm ended up making an offer to someone more experienced. I did absolutely everything I could to get an offer - three meetings, strong references including from clients, extensive follow-up, driving three hours to meet with the CEO, agreed verbally to a compensation offer... all for naught.

I did contract work for the RE company for three weeks and then they made me an offer, which was slightly better on the base side than my previous job, and still allows me to wear proper clothing to work. The long-term future is promising assuming I prove myself, as the company is growing, young, and moves people around a lot. I am fitting well into the team and I think they trust me as not only did I end up with sales responsibilities on my job description, but also recruitment and serving as lead on managing our CRM software.

Happy happy happy.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am fitting well into the team and I think they trust me as not only did I end up with sales responsibilities on my job description, but also recruitment and serving as lead on managing our CRM software.

So they're effectively making you do more work for the same pay. +1 for the employer.

Damn. I had no idea. I'd still hate the job, personally.

What do you do for a living?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bawlin
So they're effectively making you do more work for the same pay. +1 for the employer.

Still only so many hours in the day. And it adds diversity.

Which I think is an old wooden ship.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads