• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neo-Victorian

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Should I have posted this topic in the Men's Clothing section? If so, could an admin kindly help me move it. Thanks! I'm probably going to sign up for the zeitgeist forum soon, as they may be able to help me more, but while I'm here, I'd like to request some help putting together my style. I might have put up too many links, so just help me out wherever you can. Basically I'm trying to find some good quality vintage-look vests / shirts / coats / sweaters. Thanks. Oh yea, doesn't have to be vintage either. Perhaps I'll even wear a B.son coat over it all. I've been searching online almost all day trying to find vintage pieces. But it seems like I'm going to have to scour all the Vintage/thrift shops and flea markets in a 100m radius by car in order to find the Victorian pieces I need. You may be wondering what exactly it is I'm trying to do. Well imagine Todd Sweeney (film) meets LA Rocker. I want it to be like Neo-Victorian but with slightly more color. I'm also looking to add accents of olive-green floral tablecloth patterns wherever I may find them in ties / scarfs and such. I'm trying to stay away from name-brands but not from quality, since the only one's I've seen so far who do what I'm looking for are Kazuyuki Kumagai (Attachment), Tatsuro Horikawa (Julius), and Ann Demeulemeester... but those are ridiculously expensive and there are no boutiques in the US that carry those brands, at least not on the west coast. (etsy.com has some really interesting stuff and people who make interesting stuff..) This necklace may be a centerpiece unless I find a cooler green-looking thing:
il_430xN.58856967.jpg
and this:
il_430xN.51549570.jpg
I'm looking for some good vests. I'm thinking 2 of these pieces (white + black?): http://www.historicalemporium.com/store/001569.php http://www.historicalemporium.com/store/001750.php http://www.historicalemporium.com/store/000375.php and definitely this coat or any other brand coat that is faded: http://www.historicalemporium.com/store/000584.php I may need a few shirts like these too, however i'm wondering if I should go for a more fitted shirt instead of following the victorian style of baggy shirts: http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/st...p?from=leftnav I need to get some trousers, but I want one with belt loops... not gonna be wearing suspenders. I'm thinking about scrapping the idea all together and just see if all this will go with jeans. Other items I'm gonna need: Belt (can find this on my own, but recommendations would be nice) Boots (this is tough, I literally spent hours and scoured ebay / etsy / google entirely and didn't find any men's victorian boots. Trying to find those lace up boots or the short ankle boot. No luck. Perhaps I'll have to look for something else. These are nice but cost $528 .. so nvm
27948_1.jpg
What am I missing.. oh yea: Need a good quality cravat. and fingerless gloves. / accessories for the wrist Overall I'm doing this for club attire. In the daytime I will dress down but I still want to have Victorian elements here and there. Wonder how I can pull it off.. Anyway I'll figure it out.. takes time to develop a style i can truly embrace.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I approve of this affectation, and I am quite enjoying that gentleman's emporium website. However, fingerless goth-girl gloves are NOT Victorian.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
I'm not trying to do pure victorian though. plus, these seem nice for the winter. 2007 though.. wonder where i can find similar ones with buttons. http://www.notcot.com/archives/2007/...rless_glov.php Are those boots okay? Or can you show me some that might work better?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gloves without fingers are never nice for the winter. And it looks stupid anyway. Stay away.

skunkworks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Gloves without fingers are never nice for the winter. And it looks stupid anyway. Stay away.

This is the opposite of true.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't you basically describing steampunk? Yeah, I don't think you'll get much help from this forum on that.
steampunk_teaser1.jpg

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Yes, almost, but I have a nostalgia for an older world/time, not an H.G. Wells' world. Steampunk is cool but taking it too far for me. I don't it's comfortable wearing a bunch of metal.. It's also less modern than neo-victorian styles or what I'm trying to do. Like I said, I'm trying to combine neo-victorian with some other modern influence.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^+1. "this is what I'm thinking of doing" threads can be pretty annoying. It's so much better to see what people have done or are trying to do, with photos, of course.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Yea I understand that, but I need help with my fashion sense that's why I signed up for a forum.

Also, why does it agitate people so much when a newbie hits the "new thread" button? topics seem to disappear quickly to the 2nd page on this forum anyway, so eventually this will disappear too and only be here as a reference for anyone else interested in the style. I already did a search to see if there were any similar threads, what more do you want?

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DECEMBER
Yea I understand that, but I need help with my fashion sense that's why I signed up for a forum. Also, why does it agitate people so much when a newbie hits the "new thread" button? topics seem to disappear quickly to the 2nd page on this forum anyway, so eventually this will disappear too and only be here as a reference for anyone else interested in the style. I already did a search to see if there were any similar threads, what more do you want?
Why do you think you deserve a permanent spot on page 1??? Most of us know how to click the "Next Page" button and do so often. If you start a thread and it goes to the second page... you should just accept it. It means that there just aren't that many interested people, hence, this might not be the right place to hunt down these answers (see my honda/ford analogy in your first thread) And as a general rule on ANY forum.... you don't create a new thread when your old one gets buried. You post a new reply in your existing thread to bump it back to the top of the list!

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well at least he put a lot of time into it and isn't asking us to dress him in any way...

Go find some of those pieces and post a picture of yourself in the WAYWT thread, we will help you from there.

DECEMBER

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
Why do you think you deserve(strange word-choice) a permanent spot on page 1??? Most of us know how to click the "Next Page" button and do so often. If you start a thread and it goes to the second page... you should just accept it. It means that there just aren't that many interested people, hence, this might not be the right place to hunt down these answers (see my honda/ford analogy in your first thread) And as a general rule on ANY forum.... you don't create a new thread when your old one gets buried. You post a new reply in your existing thread to bump it back to the top of the list!
Oh, so apparently there's some social hierarchy for posting here. Also, you forgot these rules: 1) Must have 1000+ posts to post 2) Must have 2000+ posts to act like a jerk. 3) Newbs must post in the newb section. My old thread started off as something else entirely, I already felt that it came to a finalization, so I made a new thread. I was just looking for shoes and a belt, but then I kept looking around and realized exactly what style I was going for. I wanted to make a new topic solely dedicated to the discussion of this particular style, since there is not much information on it out there, but here we are de-railed again.
Well at least he put a lot of time into it and isn't asking us to dress him in any way... Go find some of those pieces and post a picture of yourself in the WAYWT thread, we will help you from there.
I can't post there because I don't have any of these pieces that I want to get. I'm in the process of completely re-doing my wardrobe. I need help and recommendations (so I can go to stores and know what to try on) because I'm fairly new to fashion so I'm not sure what details to pay attention to in terms of stitching / fabric / and what else?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skunkworks
This is the opposite of true.
You must live in a place with no concept of cold. Try wearing fingerless gloves in -40 centigrade and see how quickly you change your tune.

As to appearance, wearing tube socks with the ends cut off over your forearm and hand looks plain stupid. It was NEVER a style and so it's not recreating anything except for the Hot Topic fashions of goth teenagers and fans of Twilight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads