• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Master Cleanse

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
Prolonged restriction without resistance training of some kind may lead to a loss of lean muscle tissue. If you're going to do intermittent fasting, it's best if you're on some kind of regular lifting program. If you are lifting and fasting, you won't see any muscle loss. There's research in that area as well. You'll probably even see increases in strength. I have. If you're really interested in the topic, check out Eat Stop Eat. Lots and lots of cited research in his book.

Wouldn't that defy the idea that maintaining a caloric deficit is the primary cause of weight loss? (And as a follow-up, that generally speaking it is almost impossible to lose fat while maintaining 100% of your muscle mass?)

Not trying to stir trouble, just interested in your thoughts.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Wouldn't that defy the idea that maintaining a caloric deficit is the primary cause of weight loss?

Not sure I follow you here...Intermittent fasting does create a calorie deficit, and yes, creating a calorie deficit is the primary cause of fat loss.

(And as a follow-up, that generally speaking it is almost impossible to lose fat while maintaining 100% of your muscle mass?)

It's really not impossible to lose fat while maintaining 100% of your muscle mass. Most of these beliefs are hustled by supplement companies with a vested interest in you thinking that way though. A lot of people in the fitness industry say things like "you can't build muscle without creating a calorie surplus, and you can't lose fat without creating a calorie deficit." Only the second part of that statement is actually true.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the blind leading the blind.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
What?

If someone can read through this diet and think it's nutritionally and healthily sound; then I feel sorry for their lack of background knowledge to see through the smoke and mirrors. It won't be worth the time trying to get you to "see the light."

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
If someone can read through this diet and think it's nutritionally and healthily sound; then I feel sorry for their lack of background knowledge to see through the smoke and mirrors. It won't be worth the time trying to get you to "see the light."

Healthily?

It's not meant to be a healthy alternative to food. It's meant to crash off weight. Quickly.

And the litre of warm salt water is a party for your ass.

lefty

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Wouldn't that defy the idea that maintaining a caloric deficit is the primary cause of weight loss? (And as a follow-up, that generally speaking it is almost impossible to lose fat while maintaining 100% of your muscle mass?)

My personal experience over the past 2 months or so on low-carb / higher protein diet + starting strength weight training:

Before I went on the diet and training regimen, I weighed 150 lbs and looked pretty bad. No real muscle anywhere and I had a pronounced 'spare tire' around the belly.

After two months, my chest is wider, my arms are a little bigger (not much), and I've lost almost all of the spare tire. I can see some abs trying to peek through as well. My weight after two months is 150 lbs as well. I have lost about an inch and a half around my waist. It went from about 32 to around 30. I can wear my size 29 pants I bought in Shanghai (though uncomfortably).

I would say that I've gained muscle mass while losing fat. There's no doubt in my mind that's what happened. The scale doesn't lie. I've been eating an average of about 2200 calories per day according to pretty strict fitday tracking. Training 3 days a week.

Sample size of 1 is never convincing, but when it's *you* it's pretty significant.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
My personal experience over the past 2 months or so on low-carb / higher protein diet + starting strength weight training:

Before I went on the diet and training regimen, I weighed 150 lbs and looked pretty bad. No real muscle anywhere and I had a pronounced 'spare tire' around the belly.

After two months, my chest is wider, my arms are a little bigger (not much), and I've lost almost all of the spare tire. I can see some abs trying to peek through as well. My weight after two months is 150 lbs as well. I have lost about an inch and a half around my waist. It went from about 32 to around 30. I can wear my size 29 pants I bought in Shanghai (though uncomfortably).

I would say that I've gained muscle mass while losing fat. There's no doubt in my mind that's what happened. The scale doesn't lie. I've been eating an average of about 2200 calories per day according to pretty strict fitday tracking. Training 3 days a week.

Sample size of 1 is never convincing, but when it's *you* it's pretty significant.

It sounds like you've adopted a pretty standard, conventionally successful method and it is working. I did the same. Kudos to us!

Getting in shape is not rocket science. But it takes work.

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
It sounds like you've adopted a pretty standard, conventionally successful method and it is working. I did the same. Kudos to us!

Getting in shape is not rocket science. But it takes work.

It's not rocket science, but I think it was somewhat helpful to treat nutrition+training as a science (and indeed it is technically).

For me, going through studies on pubmed and reading books on metabolism really hammered the point home that the body is like a machine, and like machines it runs best when maintained and 'upgraded.' It's like back in the day when I used to be into cars. Once you understand the mechanisms going on in your body and how certain foods affect it, there's a more logical basis for being 'healthy.' Being confident that positive results *must* occur due to basic physical and chemical laws really got me going. Seeing the results keeps it going.

The same applies for weight training.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe

Which diet? You mean intermittent fasting or the OP's detox "master cleanse" diet?

Because I do not recommend the master cleanse diet at all.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Intermittent fasting isn't so much a diet as it is just a different way of eating. It can be done to gain or lose weight and mainly just debunks the whole idea of 5-6 small meals per day.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did a 7 day fast earlier this year to try to cure a digestive ailment but it didn't do **** for me. I did 4 days on vege juices and the rest on the master cleanse mixture. I did salt water flushes every 2 days from the start. It sucked, I lost a good 5 pounds in 7 days (which is alot for me) and it didn't cure me of ****! Bunch of crap if you ask me. Just eat healthy foods if you want a healthy body.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Intermittent fasting isn't so much a diet as it is just a different way of eating. It can be done to gain or lose weight and mainly just debunks the whole idea of 5-6 small meals per day.

I no longer have to get up 3 am to slam down some cottage cheese to make sure I don't go all catabolic in the night?

Sweet.

lefty

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Debunks how? It's way easier for skinny guys like me to get down 6 smaller meals throughout the day as opposed to 3 big ones, keeping calories, macros, etc. constant.

Originally Posted by why

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
Debunks how? It's way easier for skinny guys like me to get down 6 smaller meals throughout the day as opposed to 3 big ones, keeping calories, macros, etc. constant.

I'd say 99% of it is getting enough of the macros and in the proper ratio.

Timing is not too important unless it's related to lifestyle. If 6 meals works for you, that's good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads