• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm off to London

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a previous thread, I mentioned a trip my brother and I have planned to hike the length of Hadrian's Wall in Northern England (Northumberland and Cumbria). It turns out that I'll have a few days in London afterwards"”the evening of May 3rd to the morning of May 6th. This is my first trip ever to London.

I have two full days to work with (Monday and Tuesday). One day will be museum day. Bare minimum, I have the National Gallery (if only to see the Arnolfini Wedding) and the Tate Modern on the agenda. May also try to hit the British Museum, but that may be too ambitious.

Second day will be shopping day. Nothing bespoke as I have neither the time nor the resources. Here's what I have so far:

James Smith for a solid stick umbrella
Turnbull & Asser for a tie
Truefitt and Hill for shaving stuff
Regent Street to look at fabrics

What else am I missing? Food, I have covered"”large number of vegetarian restaurants throughout the city. I'll certainly need to bring back gifts for my wife and daughter (age 9). Anything you might recommend?

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip! I miss London! If you have time try checking out the Design Museum on Shad Thames. It's really a cool little museum.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts
Sounds like a great trip! I miss London! If you have time try checking out the Design Museum on Shad Thames. It's really a cool little museum.

Checked out the website. It's an interesting looking place. May have to add it to the itinerary.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
James Smith & Sons would tie in very nicely with a visit to the British Museum as they are about 2 minutes walk door to door.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Checked out the website. It's an interesting looking place. May have to add it to the itinerary.

I loved it! When I was there the had an exhibition on the design of Apple from beginning to present day. It's well worth the trip.

daniele6

Reaction score
Turnbull & Asser for a tie
Truefitt and Hill for shaving stuff
Regent Street to look at fabrics

EG or JL or C&J for a pair of shoes.....

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is there an option f being fitted for an umbrella? Just out of interest
smile.gif

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO and depending on your interests, I would pick British Museum over the Tate Modern, they just have collections of stuff in there that you can't find anywhere else on the planet, literally. If you're strapped for time, just do the Parthenon exhibit.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I understand, they'll cut the umbrella as appropriate for your height. So, yes.

Thought so. I'd be interested to know the price difference between being fitted for an umbrella and just buying one from the rack.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great trip, as long as you are fully prepared for rain! Early May along the wall can be beautiful, bucketing rain and anything in between, often on the same day.

I think your museum agenda is quite ambitious. You can easily spend a full day and more in either the Tate Modern, the National Gallery or the British Museum. I can't imagine trying to do all three in one day!

As you're already going to Jermyn Street for T&A, drop in at Harvey & Hudson. Their shirts are unbeatable at their price point -- 3 for 90 pounds, IIRC. They have two locations on Jermyn Street but one of them is much bigger and has many more shirts in stock. I will also tip you off to a great place for an afternoon coffee/snack. There's a Waterstones on Jermyn Street. When you go in, there will be a sign for Costa Coffee in the basement. Ignore it and go all the way to the top floor. There's a cafe up there which is both quite reasonable and has outstanding views of London. (There are also quite nice public restrooms on the landing half a floor down -- a precious commodity in London.) I'm not sure this is actually a secret as I believe this is Waterstone's main store, but I've never seen a crowd in the cafe, which I find surprising.

You might even consider visiting Jermyn Street after visiting the National Gallery as it's just around the corner. I believe most of the Jermyn Street shops close at 5:30.

cwh812

Reaction score
Go to a Spurs match!! COYS!!

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
James Smith & Sons would tie in very nicely with a visit to the British Museum as they are about 2 minutes walk door to door.

I was going to say the same thing. When I got mine, the store needed a little time to cut the stick to size and package it, so I wandered around the museum for a bit. Have them box it up for you to take on the plane. That was a big help.

If you're over on the other side of the river by the Tate Modern, I recommend wandering over to Borough Market about a 15 minute walk away. I know you said that you have food covered, but I really enjoy walking through there. I like the restaurant Roast, which overlooks the market.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads