• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me with the Fit of my New AEs

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

On Saturday, I took advantage of the shoes.com sale on allen edmonds. Today, I received my Melrose loafers. They fit great aside from one problem. My right heel has a tendency to rise up too far out of the shoe as I walk. The heel doesn't actually come all the way out of the shoe, but it goes up way too far.

What can I do to fix this? (aside from returning)

I've tried putting in a gel sole. It works for my other loafers, but I don't think my foot has enough room in these shoes if I have a gel sole in.

Any recommendations on ways to fix/ameliorate this problem?

Thanks

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wear thick socks, or get insoles.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
Hey all,

On Saturday, I took advantage of the shoes.com sale on allen edmonds. Today, I received my Melrose loafers. They fit great aside from one problem. My right heel has a tendency to rise up too far out of the shoe as I walk. The heel doesn't actually come all the way out of the shoe, but it goes up way too far.

What can I do to fix this? (aside from returning)

I've tried putting in a gel sole. It works for my other loafers, but I don't think my foot has enough room in these shoes if I have a gel sole in.

Any recommendations on ways to fix/ameliorate this problem?

Thanks

Do they really fit great otherwise? If you lift your foot in the air and grab the shoe with your hand, can you slide it back and forth? If so, it may be a half size too big. If not, then the last may be a poor fit for your foot.

However, I've also noticed that some shoes do this initially, and then when they break in and the sole becomes left stiff, the issue disappears. However, the problem is that once you've worn them, you can't return them, so it's a bit of a gamble.

If the shoes are too big, I would return them. If you're bent on keeping them, and you don't think it's an issue of breaking in, you can get some tongue inserts, which should take care of the problem; your local cobbler should have them.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
not sure how you call it, it's like a insole, but it's over your instep, and stick to the leather on top of instep, I find that works better than insole for me.

or just insole...

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
Do they really fit great otherwise? If you lift your foot in the air and grab the shoe with your hand, can you slide it back and forth? If so, it may be a half size too big. If not, then the last may be a poor fit for your foot.

However, I've also noticed that some shoes do this initially, and then when they break in and the sole becomes left stiff, the issue disappears. However, the problem is that once you've worn them, you can't return them, so it's a bit of a gamble.

If the shoes are too big, I would return them. If you're bent on keeping them, and you don't think it's an issue of breaking in, you can get some tongue inserts, which should take care of the problem; your local cobbler should have them.

The thing is that it fits my left foot just perfectly. If I went down a half size, it would probably be too small, plus I can't exchange them for a half size down.

I tried the "slide it back and forth" and the shoes barely moves doing that. So, that should be a good sign, right?

I'll check into the tongue insert thing.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
The thing is that it fits my left foot just perfectly. If I went down a half size, it would probably be too small, plus I can't exchange them for a half size down.

I tried the "slide it back and forth" and the shoes barely moves doing that. So, that should be a good sign, right?

I'll check into the tongue insert thing.

Yes, that probably means they are the right size. I've had a couple of shoes that initially did this, but neither could I have size down. Most of them broke in and the slippage disappeared, but one pair is still slightly loose. It doesn't bother me that much because I got them new for 15% of retail, but I do prefer the fit of my other shoes. I don't use inserts with it either, as it's only a very minor issue. If you are happy with the price, stick with them- don't use the inserts just yet, give the shoes a chance to break in properly without them.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that probably means they are the right size. I've had a couple of shoes that initially did this, but neither could I have size down. Most of them broke in and the slippage disappeared, but one pair is still slightly loose. It doesn't bother me that much because I got them new for 15% of retail, but I do prefer the fit of my other shoes. I don't use inserts with it either, as it's only a very minor issue. If you are happy with the price, stick with them- don't use the inserts just yet, give the shoes a chance to break in properly without them.

Well, I did get them for only $87 during shoes.com 75% off sale . . . So, I guess that factors in.

wetnose

Reaction score
Usually it's the left foot which is always a teeny little bit bigger than the right. If the left foot fits with no slippage then you have a good size. If you could squeeze a pinkie into both shoes, then the size is too large.

Tongue inserts work or you get a really thin poron insole (works just like the advertising) or also heel grips.

Ed Sullivan

Reaction score
Much better than a poron insole are the quality insoles made by Ecco. They last a long time. Your foot can breathe, they are anti-bacterial and they aren't too think. They provide just enough difference for a shoe a tad large. Try a pair. You'll be hooked.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-ECCIS...tm_medium=feed

dk123

Reaction score
It is interesting to me how people always recommend insoles for shoes that are too big. Maybe it is just me, but I find that any insole, with the possible exception of those very thin, cheap Dr. Scholls type insoles, cause my foot to sit too high in the shoe. It feels like the back of my foot by the heel is sitting too high in the shoe, and often it seems to end up slipping more. Has any one else noticed that? Tongue pads tend to work better, although they can create a bit of an unsightly bump at the top of the shoe.

kaczmar2

Reaction score

I've had 2 pairs of AEs that exhibited this behavior, and after about 5-6 wears each, after a light break-in period, they fit much better in the heel.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaczmar2
I've had 2 pairs of AEs that exhibited this behavior, and after about 5-6 wears each, after a light break-in period, they fit much better in the heel.

Yes, it sounds like you just need to break in the soles. Should be fine after you wear them a few times.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kaczmar2

Yeah, anything on the #8 for me does this and then is fine after break-in.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dk123
It is interesting to me how people always recommend insoles for shoes that are too big. Maybe it is just me, but I find that any insole, with the possible exception of those very thin, cheap Dr. Scholls type insoles, cause my foot to sit too high in the shoe. It feels like the back of my foot by the heel is sitting too high in the shoe, and often it seems to end up slipping more. Has any one else noticed that? Tongue pads tend to work better, although they can create a bit of an unsightly bump at the top of the shoe.

Most insoles that you'll find at drugstores, etc are made thick because of the inferior quality foam that they use. The thickness makes up for the cushioning. A typical poron insole is 3mm, which is the less than the thickness of an athletic sock. Despite it's 3mm thickness, it's fairly effective in absorbing shock.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads