• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
uglyties.jpg

Nice ties, in their day.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the trouser tips, guys.
teacha.gif
There's a new thrift store I found the other day that I've been wanting to check out. Maybe I won't skip the pants section this time.

Smeed

Reaction score
Do you guys have a few things that you always look for similar to what another poster said about trousers? Being on a tight budget I could get into this, but Id walk into the place and be as clueless as a blind guy trying to solve a rubix cube.

Im guessing it justs comes with experience and knowing what brands usually have quality stuff...

GucciKid

Reaction score

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smeed
Im guessing it justs [sic] comes with experience and knowing what brands usually have quality stuff...
Brand familiarity is essential, but equally essential is the ability to discern quality. As an example, I was unfamiliar with this brand when I saw the label, but immediately recognized it as a high-quality shirt (gusseting, MOP buttons, hand-sewing, etc.)
dscn1277.jpg
dscn1288h.jpg
Sure enough, when I got home and googled it, I wasn't surprised to learn that Giampaolo is Bijan's private label shirtmaker!

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve Smith
Most thrift shop ties are dated, to the point that no matter what the brand, I wouldn't buy.

Most are dated or just really ugly, but so is most everything else in the thrift store. You can find very, very nice ties thrifting as some recent posts have illustrated very clearly. My tie racks floweth over with thrift ties of very high quality.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a bunch more $5 RT OTC socks from my mom who is down south the other day. They sell these for $40 (CDN) at menswear store in town here.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of oddities lately:

One is a plaid wool vest in russet, gold, etc. Autumnal. "Maple Leaf Plaid" from the Novelty Company of Toronto. Maple leaf embossed buttons....of course.

The other is a 6/1 black flannel DB bespoke coat from Thorssons of Stockholm, dated 1956. Jaunty, especially for Standinavia! Think it can be tailored to fit me.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
Mr. Moo, you always have incredible luck.
blush.gif
*knocks on wood* thanks. I made a list of things I purchased at thrift stores over the past two months or so, and it boggled me that every item except two were either perfect or needed a touch of alterations to fit me, and I haven't run into much that was good but didn't fit (for the Thrifting Thread for trading). I hope the good luck continues!

moet49

Reaction score
Bill Blass cobalt blue blazer, Filene's Baement tags still affixed, for 10 bucks at Salvation Army, The dry cleaners will also affix the brass buttons from an old blazer--the new one had plastic buttons
10 Brooks Brothers shirts, 10 buck each at Angel Street thrift
10 new pairs of 2xist no show brief at Lot Less, 3.99 for each underpant!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads