• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High Quality Italian Shoes

qdogg29

Reaction score
This thread is not limited to Italian shoes, but I love an elongated toe, like such:
DLG2050a.jpg
This look isn't ideal, but I still like it quite a bit. I would imagine the leather and craftsmanship does not compare to say Borgioli, but the Dolce and Gabbana main line is a healthy cut above D&G. Now before the more conservative crowd unsheathes their swords , you must concede I have made strides since the hideous blue, patent leather Bruno Maglis. Moreover, I'm not exactly seeking your approval for this pair of shoes, but rather looking for a better made alternative for under 500 dollars. The Allen Edmonds' Tresana is fairly appealing:
54155.jpg
But it exceeds my budget, and AE was sort of unprecedentedly reproached on this forum for putting out a line that is inherently a marketing gimmick, and not 200 dollars better than the traditional line. I'm looking for my first good pair of shoes that will last me for years, and I'll probably always work in an environment with a very liberal dress code, but I'd still prefer something that could swing both ways (leisure+formal). Feel free to throw anything at me that you believe may strike my fancy, use the images as a template.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the staid traditionalists won't like them, but the Dolce and Gabbana main line (I believe it's call black label?) are very nice if you like pointy toes.

I got a pair on sale and the craftsmanship was pretty good by "designer" shoe standards - they're still going strong after a few years - and they give a more contemporary look with the right pair of jeans or with other less formal wear.

As for a "good shoe" equivalent, you might look at some of Cheney's models - they tend to be a bit more fashion-forward than some of the other more traditional English shoemakers, and they aren't at the top end of price either. E.g. http://www.cheaney.co.uk/product.asp?id=12

Try and avoid Loake L1 and other cemented-soled English offerings though, they're not as good as the welted equivalents offered by the various makers.

awxg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
Try and avoid Loake L1 and other cemented-soled English offerings though, they're not as good as the welted equivalents offered by the various makers.

I thought Loakes were goodyear welted...or is it just the L1 line that isn't?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Santoni FAM and Sutor both make some pretty flashy shoes on elongated lasts, as does Martegani. If your budget is only around $300 though, prepare to look hard.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Martegani Luccas:

93971m.jpg

These ones in burgundy are sweet.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UnFacconable
Don't forget the Comos and Reggios by Martegani!

Pics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads