• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Versatile Would a Brighter Navy/Petrol Suit Be?

GQBaller

Reaction score
00002fuda.jpg

I would like to buy a cotton suit in a brighter navy/petrol color like this one. However, I can't justify such a purchase if I can't wear the suit to work.

Would a suit like this one be too ostentatious/casual/"Grammy Awards-ish" for work? Keep in mind the cotton fabric weave has a hint of silk, making it sort of shiny.

I know Obama wears navy suits regularly, but they seem a shade darker:

barack-obama-b_0.jpg

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would be able to put it to good use

July

Reaction score
I like the look. I have one in a mohair blend (slightly shiny) that is a shade or two lighter than the first image you posted. It's used for more casual days, but it ultimately depends on your office. I find the coloring more versatile than navy when the pieces are worn separately.

GQBaller

Reaction score
Let me ask a different question: would you wear a suit like that to an interview? The conventional wisdom says plain navy is fine, but what about a lighter and shinier navy fabric? Also, has anyone seen similar cotton suits? This one is from Z Zegna, which is sort of pricey.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing with a sheen to an interview unless its your watch or shoes
wink.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I love this color.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, I have a steel blue suit with a light pinstripe. It's a wool/silk blend and also as a result, has a nice sheen and feel.

I think it's a reasonably formal piece and looks great with a French cuff white shirt and blue tie for work. I've always found the traditional navy suit a little bit boring, and I think steel blue is a good alternative.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have three, one cotton, one wool and one mohair/wool fresco. They can look odd under some kinds of lighting, but in general, I think it is a fantastic color.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQBaller
Let me ask a different question: would you wear a suit like that to an interview? The conventional wisdom says plain navy is fine, but what about a lighter and shinier navy fabric?

As for an interview, I think the same logic applies as to whether you wear brown shoes, or a pocketchief, to an interview - and numerous threads have discussed these points. Certainly wearing one of these suits isn't like wearing a safari suit to an interview, but it is a little different from the 'norm' (which can help you stand out, but is that a good thing??)

Ultimately it's up to the judgement of the individual bearing in mind the occasion and the actual garment, I don't think there is a hard and fast rule here.

Modernist

Reaction score
I have one mohair/wool blend in almost the same hue. My favourite suit. It's actually very versatile. That suit, a white shirt, black shoes and a navy tie and you have a perfectly safe for work outfit. Substitute the black shoes for some reddish brown and the navy tie for a red one, and it's a great look for a night out. It also looks great without a tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads