• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you shave with?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gillette Superspeeds are not adjustable. You either have a "Fatboy" adjustable, slim handled adjustable, or long black handled adjustable. If you give me the stamp on the underside of the head of the razor, I can date it for you.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to use a straight razor but unfortunately I do not produce enough facial hair to warrant such an eccentric choice.

Jack2000

Reaction score
Merkur HD here. Got a big sampler of blades from West Coat Shaving Got the C&E badger brush. For creams I use Tabac, prorasso, some of the KMF stuff from whole foods etc. Beats the hell out of my mach 3 and a can of edge gel. I like shaving now. I make a ritual out of it. Don't forget the aqua velva otherwise known as menthol awesome sauce.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
I would love to use a straight razor but unfortunately I do not produce enough facial hair to warrant such an eccentric choice.

Oh plz. Sounds like you'd do well with a full hollow blade, which gets wickedly sharp with little work.

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
One of the 1st things i did once I found SF was to change my shaving routine. I used to be a Foam - Mach 5 guy. Now its Art of Shaving Pre-shave oil + Trumper shaving soap + Badger Brush + Merkur HD Blade + Art of Shaving After Balm. Takes a lil longer, but what a difference in the shave and the condition of my skin.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The HD is more a classic DE razor design, the futur is something new. Different head geometry, and much larger and heavier.

HD:
IMG_6108%20copy.jpg

Futur:
21QZ83ME20L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Originally Posted by sygyzy
What's the difference between the Merkur HD an the Futur?

oxide

Reaction score
merkur futur + art of shaving gel

I used a wilkinson sword DE razor for about a year before I switched to futur. Once I did.. what a change, the shave u get with it is amazing.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Put down my Futur (after a couple of years) for a Slant about 3 months ago. Cut the hell out of myself once during the first week. But there's no way I'd go back. The Slant is fast, accurate, and close. Very close. I like it with original Proraso cream and a fresh Persona blade.

turbozed

Reaction score
I've noticed I seem to get a lot more pimples near my mouth (area where I shave) since I switched to an electric razor. I'm thinking it has to do with my skin getting cut and then infection. I guess this means i should clean the razor more and/or maybe use some aftershave.

I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences.

Also, can someone recommend a good aftershave? Preferably not too strong smelling. Thanks.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Try Thayer's Medicated Super Hazel. I love that stuff. Peppermint smell, great results, reasonable price.

bullethead

Reaction score
^ Thomas, which type/ how many straights do you use?

Straight shaving can get really addictive. in fact, it has taken the place of clothing for me-for now at least.

in the last two months i've purchased 8 straight razors ( three cheapies to practice honing on). Plus probably six or so different creams.

A year ago, it was just a fusion and a tube of kiehls.

Berticus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullethead
^ Thomas, which type/ how many straights do you use?

Straight shaving can get really addictive. in fact, it has taken the place of clothing for me-for now at least.

in the last two months i've purchased 8 straight razors ( three cheapies to practice honing on). Plus probably six or so different creams.

A year ago, it was just a fusion and a tube of kiehls.

What kind of cheapies? And from where? I've manage to keep it at 3.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put a Feather blade in the other day - that ***** cuts you up and you don't even know it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics