• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A new wardrobe for no cost…

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I was storing winter clothes in the basement closet and breaking out spring/summer wear, I realized that my combinations of suit/shirt/tie/sport coat/trousers/shoes/etc. tend to be fairly limited. I have two or three shirts that I wear with each suit, combined with one or two ties. So I called a stylish woman friend (not a girlfriend) to come over, look in my closets and combine what I have in new and interesting ways. I was surprised at the results - many new looks that I would have not done myself. Sometimes, you cannot see the forest because the trees are in the way.

So, call on a stylish woman friend - not a girlfriend as she may have a subconscious "better not make him too attractive" issue. Have her go through your clothes, toss out the losers and keep the winners. Then, ask her to combine what you have in different and creative ways. It's a bit like re-arranging the living room furniture - a whole new look for no cash out of pocket.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks!

Twotone

JKTwain

Reaction score
I think that is an excellent idea, and have done it myself (albeit a guy friend since I am a girl) and yes, a stylish woman friend will perhaps be more impartial/fun to do this with. In defense of loving ladies everywhere, however, I would always want my man to look the best he can, because it makes me more attracted to him. Bonus. Forget everyone else, and don't date women who are wierd and manipulative.

JKTwain

Reaction score
Oh--and one more thing--try using Google Notebook or Zoho Notebook to 'clip' online pictures of your favorite male movie star style, cowboys, gangsters, superheroes, railroad workers, etc to look at how they wear their clothes. Usually it's not that the clothes are that unusual....sometimes it's just the attitude and whether or not they tuck their shirt in.

Cordovan

Reaction score
There are few things that I will allow women to get involved with concerning my dress and wardrobe.

Cordovan

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
I was surprised at the results – many new looks that I would have not done myself
I don't find that surprising, women are generally pretty bad when it comes to men's style, and tend to just dress them up to what they personally find attractive or "cute" it wouldn't surprise me if one came up with some combinations that wouldn't have occurred to you, possibly because they are a bad idea. Yeah, it can be a good idea to look for new ways of wearing old things, but this would not be how I would look for them.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
I don't find that surprising, women are generally pretty bad when it comes to men's style, and tend to just dress them up to what they personally find attractive or "cute" it wouldn't surprise me if one came up with some combinations that wouldn't have occurred to you, possibly because they are a bad idea.

Yeah, it can be a good idea to look for new ways of wearing old things, but this would not be how I would look for them.

I am inclined to agree. I would suggest you would be better off reviewing this and similar fora for useful ideas as to matching colors, patterns, and textures. I would be disinclined to be a life size Ken doll for the women in my life.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
i don't let girls dress me

plus twenty billion

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...but i am perfectly fine with letting them undress me

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
I don't find that surprising, women are generally pretty bad when it comes to men's style, and tend to just dress them up to what they personally find attractive or "cute" it wouldn't surprise me if one came up with some combinations that wouldn't have occurred to you, possibly because they are a bad idea.

Quite right. Many women find this "cute."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/foxythea/938443663/

Personally, I think the color scheme is horrific. I much prefer a more muted palette.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrible idea. I find that women that dress men dont know what they are doing, they just do a good job at making him acceptable to her friends. Plus, I take great pride in being able to put myself together.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
I don't see the problem...if she picks something out that doesn't work, don't wear it...if she picks out something that works, wear it. The key here is using a female friend, in this instance, to find new color/pattern combinations that you may not have thought of before, but not compromising your core stylistic values.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads