• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Bros. 1818 Madison 3 piece quality?

mdg137

Reaction score
I stopped by the local BB outlet this weekend, and discovered an 1818 madison 3 piece in my size. Glen plaid, flat front pants, side vents-- felt full canvas.

Price was 299.99, and I figure probably about 120.00 in alterations at my tailor- (pants hemmed and trimmed a bit, sleeves shortened, waist of the jacket taken in significantly), so for a total of 425.00--

Im really trying to avoid the "wow, its cheap, I better buy it" syndrome that is all too easy to fall into.

What is your experience with the 1818 line?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like them a lot, and if I found that suit, wouldn't hesitate to buy it at that price. They are great, classic suits. Relatively well made, conservative cut, perfect for their purpose.

Here is an 1818 here:

bb4zz2.jpg

I have to have mine MTM, since they do not work for me OTR, but I would highly recommend them.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a Madison with side vents. Is it a mistagged Regent, or was it a special order?

mdg137

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
I've never seen a Madison with side vents. Is it a mistagged Regent, or was it a special order?
you know, I didnt look closely enough... There was a blue tag that read 1818 Madison sewn inside, so I didnt think to really compare the fit.

orthofrancis

Reaction score
They are quite well made suits - classics. I have two, and receive compliments each time I wear them (I have the Fitzgerald line).
Normally they go for $1000 each or so, but usually can be bought on sale.

1wb

Reaction score
There have been a couple of 1818 3-piece models over the past year - 3B high-roll w/ side vents, vest w/ lapels and FF trousers. Maybe two Madisons - one in a darker grey glenplaid w/ red and blue overcheck and a lighter grey glenplaid w/ tan overcheck, and I think a Fitzgerald or Madison in brown birdseye. All of them are made in Italy, none of them are full canvas. All 1818 suits are half-canvas w/ fusing. The fabrics are nice, but the lapels on the vest are a bit much, esp. together with the 3B high roll. I own the darker grey Madison model and don't wear it very often. That said, $300 is a good deal.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up an awesome 1818 Italy made DB Tweed herringbone full length overcoat at the warehouse sale for $300. Very happy.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Madison 3-piece with lapelled vest and side vents. It's a very nice suit I was happy to pay about $520 for on sale. Half-canvassed. I think if you take the suit to a regular BB they will do the alterations for free. Careful, though, their tailors do not seem to believe in showing cuff.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I agree..I think they're great suits when they're on sales. The Fitzgerald fit me pretty well.

brewstafari

Reaction score
It could have been a 'throw-away' MTM suit. They start with a base model (in this case, Madison), and then alter it however you want - and could have added side vents. That being said - the 1818 models are all half-canvassed. Only the Golden Fleece suits are full-canvas.

And THAT being said - that's a great deal for the price and I would take it in a heartbeat. I got a 3-piece Loro Piana Regent a few months back when they had the 2-for-$1000 deal and it was WELL worth it.

sloane3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I like them a lot, and if I found that suit, wouldn't hesitate to buy it at that price. They are great, classic suits. Relatively well made, conservative cut, perfect for their purpose.

Here is an 1818 here:

bb4zz2.jpg

I have to have mine MTM, since they do not work for me OTR, but I would highly recommend them.

Is it just me or do the shoulders look odd in that pic.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brewstafari

And THAT being said - that's a great deal for the price and I would take it in a heartbeat. I got a 3-piece Loro Piana Regent a few months back when they had the 2-for-$1000 deal and it was WELL worth it.

+1, I did it too. Got an 1818 Tux and 3-Piece with side vents for $1,000. I'm happy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads