• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Off The Cuff: Great Guide For Newbies!

allcapitan

Reaction score
I was browsing through this book over the weekend. It's a very solid guide to fashion for newbies. It answered a lot of the questions I have, even though I don't agree with every single suggestion. It's worth the investment, especially if you can get it used on ebay or amazon.

It's got separate sections on:

1. shoes
2. pants
3. shirts
4. sweaters
5. jackets
6. accessories: belts, ties, hats

Nothing revolutionary, just the basics, ma'am. Then, you learn to break the rules.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started out with that book, What Not to Wear and The Look for Less before I discovered Superfuture and SF.

I dressed like a tool for a good year and wasted a lot of money.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
I started out with that book, What Not to Wear and The Look for Less before I discovered Superfuture and SF.

I dressed like a tool for a good year and wasted a lot of money.

Interesting. I'm not really familiar with any of those books, but what do they suggest? One of my friends recently took an interest in style, and all his fits manage to blend scuzziness and contrivedness. It's really bad. I thought he was getting all his bad advice from GQ, but maybe he's looking at these books too?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Interesting. I'm not really familiar with any of those books, but what do they suggest? One of my friends recently took an interest in style, and all his fits manage to blend scuzziness and contrivedness. It's really bad. I thought he was getting all his bad advice from GQ, but maybe he's looking at these books too?

Well the last 2 things were TV shows. But yeah...full of bad advice for the most part.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What books would you guys suggest are good books to get style advice from? I thought Off The Cuff had good advice, but what do I know?! ha ha Much appreciated.

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from the general rules of thumb, maybe it's better to take an interesting in clothing itself than to read a book? Learn the history of different pieces, observe how they've been worn over the years, and then go from there.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dedalus
Aside from the general rules of thumb, maybe it's better to take an interesting in clothing itself than to read a book? Learn the history of different pieces, observe how they've been worn over the years, and then go from there.

How can someone do that? Wouldn't a book be the best place for this info to be obtained? What other sources are there?

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about 'Dressing the Man'? Look it up on Amazon. Ive been wanting that book for a while.

joel_954

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
What about 'Dressing the Man'? Look it up on Amazon. Ive been wanting that book for a while.

It's great for suits, etc, but not as informative about streetwear and denim as we'd like.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads