• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview advised "business casual" in invite e-mail - suit overkill?

Median

Reaction score
So I have an interview with a promising company this Thursday.

In the e-mail invite, the interviewer stated, "Dress is business casual".

Does that mean I should not wear a suit, i.e. that I'd stick out as too stuffy for wearing one?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what industry, what does the company do, where are their offices, what kind of position is this?

cwh812

Reaction score
I would not wear a tie. I would wear a jacket though because it is still an interview. I'd err on the conservative side of business casual (not khakis). Perhaps a suit sans tie.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
what industry, what does the company do, where are their offices, what kind of position is this?

Good questions. If anything, I would wear a tie and skip the suit.

Pantless

Reaction score
If I were you, I would need some VERY STRONG indication that I should not wear a suit before I didn't wear a suit. If you are not familiar with the industry, I would suggest talking with several people in the industry and only not wearing a suit if every single one of them says not to.

An interview is a suit situation, even if they say you don't need to wear a suit.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Median
So I have an interview with a promising company this Thursday.

In the e-mail invite, the interviewer stated, "Dress is business casual".

Does that mean I should not wear a suit, i.e. that I'd stick out as too stuffy for wearing one?

if its in the finance/legal/accounting industry OR if its in a major metropolitian city in the US (SF, NY, Boston, Chicago) i would probably wear a suit, regardless if they say business casual... if you know its something casual like technology or maybe even advertising.. id lose the tie and wear a jacket

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
If they made a point of stating that the attire is business casual, then I would not wear a suit.

I would wear a pair of slacks, button down shirt and a conservative sport coat. You can always lose the sport coat if the place is really casual when you get there.

Wearing a suit just says you're not paying to attention to what they said and gives off the sign that you might not fit in if they hire you.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WEar a suit, check out everyone else, could always leave the jacket off

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford
If they made a point of stating that the attire is business casual, then I would not wear a suit.

I would wear a pair of slacks, button down shirt and a conservative sport coat. You can always lose the sport coat if the place is really casual when you get there.

Wearing a suit just says you're not paying to attention to what they said and gives off the sign that you might not fit in if they hire you.

Precisely the advice I would have given.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bradford

+1

factorial

Reaction score
I'd wear a suit sans tie or perhaps trousers and a jacket unless the industry is one well known for embracing casual wear (programming, IT, or "creative" pursuits).

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Precisely the advice I would have given.
I tend to agree with this but would wear a tie with an odd jacket and slacks. The tie can be removed, if needed.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Business casual at my old law firm meant creased dress slacks, a tucked-in polo or oxford, well-shined shoes, and sometimes a jacket. Not a suit. Everything needed to fit right and be pressed. Never flashy. In an effort to follow my boss's lead, I always wore a v-neck undershirt.

ChiliPalmer

Reaction score
If you're worried about being too casual or not getting the look right, wear a suit and make it a point to tell them you have somewhere else to go afterwards (or beforehand - whatever the appropriate lie).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads