• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Faux Buttonhole stitches or no?

cgo

Reaction score
As some of you are probably aware of, the RLBL suits does not have any faux stitching on the sleeves' buttonholes. My tailor has asked me if I want to add this as he thinks it is better with the stitches.

What do you think? At first I thought of adding them however thinking that it is kinda of RLBL's "signature" I have asked him to hold of on it.

Thanks

rob

Reaction score
I think the lack of faux holes is to allow adjustmments to your sleeve length by your tailor and to give you the option of having working or faux button holes. It's not a signature; it's an opportunity.

Rob

cgo

Reaction score
In saying that, would it be better then to have my tailor add the stitches after he shorten the sleeves for me?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a personal decision. I have working buttonholes put on my Black Label suits.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be a man, have working buttonholes installed. Chicks dig it.

cgo

Reaction score
I would like that however it might be costly no?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you do anything at all, do not do the faux buttonholes..

cgo

Reaction score
so it'll be either no faux or proper working buttonholes?

cgo

Reaction score
alright.....my tailor said that there is not enough fabric lining to make it as working buttonholes so i'll have my first non faux buttonholes suit
smile.gif

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like a lazy tailor to me....

Albern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cgo
alright.....my tailor said that there is not enough fabric lining to make it as working buttonholes so i'll have my first non faux buttonholes suit
smile.gif

Originally Posted by fcuknu
sounds like a lazy tailor to me....

Funny that I'm finding this discussion on here as I was just speaking to my tailor this morning about whether I wanted functioning cuffs on my suit jacket. I believe in order to have functioning cuffs you need to have two layers of the suit fabric one over the other to create the holes. Depending on how much shorter you reduce the sleeve there may or may not be enough material available to go underneath. This is also dependent on where the buttons end up obviously. Essentially, the lower the button stance the less fabric is required to be rolled underneath and vice versa.

Can any experts further attest to this?

DoubleDomer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
If you do anything at all, do not do the faux buttonholes..

+1

FWIW, it sounds like your tailor is padding his cost.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yes albern its true, a substantial foundation is needed to make buttonholes. on the coat front you have two layers of wool fabric and one layer of canvas between. on sleeves you need two layers of wool fabric and two layers of wiggan in between.
wiggan is the cotton reenforcement at the sleeve bottom.

cgo

Reaction score
thanks for all the response. I have decided to NOT do the faux buttonholes and leave it as is

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads