• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on Alden Cordovan Monk Strap

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have never liked it. Something about the way they cut the upper pattern, in partcular the shape of the quarters and the narrowness of the strap, turns me off. If I wanted a shell monk, I would get one from Vass on the F last.
inlove.gif

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tdial
I don't know why, but I am obsessed with this shoe. What are your opinions?
954.jpg

This particular shoe shape is blah. Additionally, cordovan for a shoe I associate with a softer, slightly more feminine stance is confusing. While I'm on the subject, cordovan for a dress shoe isn't a great idea.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I concur with Manton that Vass is a fine alternative to do the monk strap in cordovan leather. Its personal preference, I desire the U last in lieu of the F last and Vass seems to concur for every monk strap pic I can find...its always on the U last Vass should set you back almost $1000...but its an MTO shoe and includes lasted shoe trees. Budapester schuhe has 3 different colored pics of the Vass monk strap on the U last http://www.budapester-schuhe.de/rahm...0,18,0,99.html If you visit Vass' own site, www.vass-cipo.hu, they have a pic in black leather http://www.vass-cipo.hu/Eng/Modellek...068_Kicsi.html If you could live without cordovan leather...Tom at LeatherSould might still have this in your size http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/200...ex-monk-strap/

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FNB...why the dislike of cordovan leather?

If it was black cordovan leather, what is it about its look that you find will not match well with your business suits?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Michael Ay329
FNB...why the dislike of cordovan leather? If it was black cordovan leather, what is it about its look that you find will not match well with your business suits?
Well the monk strap is already shapeless enough without using a think, klunky leather, next thing you know people will be getting that Russian reindeer in a monk strap. I don't dislike it, I just don't like it. In the leather world, it's choice number 35. Cordovan has a tendency to look thick and cheap. I also think it's hot and uncomfortable for the feet. I associate cordovan with an oxblood gunboat wingtip worn either with a tweed suit or in inclement weather with a business suit which is probably the only pair Id ever wear. I also associate them with the high water, plain solid ready to wear suit crowd, the ones with the 50-50 poly-cotton button downs. I would consider it the choice of someone who doesnt care a lot about clothes. I have seen a few shoes done in cordovan I consider nice looking but there's the comfort factor and I wonder about their appeal on the forums vs. the rest of reality. I can see them more for a sort of country looking casual, Harris tweed jacket and corduroys.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
I have this shoe and it is great. I wear it with whatever, jeans, it doesn't matter. Perhaps I wouldn't wear it to an interview. Then again, perhaps I would.

+1. I actually sold a pair of these to a forum member last year, BNIB, archival lasted, and have kind of regretted it ever since. The reason I did so was because I already have 2 other black monks in rotation and in particular wear the hell out of some vintage Church's semi-brogues. A VERY, VERY, versatile shoe and especially cool when doing the jeans with a dark jacket. I've never worn them with a suit but you could definitely get away with it...ever since SF I can't even bring myself to pair bluchers with a suit
blush.gif

If I had to choose one leather-soled shoe to wear forever, this would be it.

sfo423

Reaction score
that shoe is so......sub par. i'd pass.

the last has no personality to say the least.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
This particular shoe shape is blah. Additionally, cordovan for a shoe I associate with a softer, slightly more feminine stance is confusing. While I'm on the subject, cordovan for a dress shoe isn't a great idea.

Can you explain why you think so? Do you dislike the shine/creasing? Or do you think they are too chunky (uppers, soles being too thick) for wearing with a suit?

I think shell cordovan is great for dress shoes - they wear extremely well, getting better with age, and the maintanence is easier than calf. In addition, some of the styles we get on shell are iconic and time-proven shoes (longwings, LHS penny etc). In addition, shell (esp alden) is great value for money and while some think many alden lasts are clunky, they look pretty good in person (from personal experience with quite a few aldens). I agree that some might find the double oak soles that we find on some cordovan shoes make them look chunky, but a shoe like the C&J for polo Darlton wintips looks absolutely fabulous with a good suit. I'd rather wear a cordovan shoe with a suit than some of the dainty looking english/italain shoes that I have seen on the forum.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Can you explain why you think so? Do you dislike the shine/creasing? Or do you think they are too chunky (uppers, soles being too thick) for wearing with a suit? I think shell cordovan is great for dress shoes - they wear extremely well, getting better with age, and the maintanence is easier than calf. In addition, some of the styles we get on shell are iconic and time-proven shoes (longwings, LHS penny etc). In addition, shell (esp alden) is great value for money and while some think many alden lasts are clunky, they look pretty good in person (from personal experience with quite a few aldens). I agree that some might find the double oak soles that we find on some cordovan shoes make them look chunky, but a shoe like the C&J for polo Darlton wintips looks absolutely fabulous with a good suit. I'd rather wear a cordovan shoe with a suit than some of the dainty looking english/italain shoes that I have seen on the forum.
Right here: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=20 I could go on but whatever cordovan offers as a selling point around longevity I think that's more about the mind set of the buyer and that it neither pans out in real life or gets you points on looking respectable/admirable/prosperous/well heeled. But I do think that over time cordovan looks like rubber. And this longevity selling point applies to everything. Anyone who buys clothing today because they think its going to last in perpetuity, i will never see eye to eye with. I get suits made up by my tailor in so called luxury cloths which will last a very long time but i get tired of them. I didn't say I disliked Alden lasts, i just don't like that particular Alden shoe and especially in cordovan which I think is a bizarre style. A monk strap should be soft and sleek in a nice calf or suede. And yeah, it it were a choice between running into a meeting barefoot, in pink high heels or the cordovan monk strap, I would wear this shoe. After the meeting though, i'd throw them in the back of the closet
smile.gif

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Right here: http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=20

I could go on but whatever cordovan offers as a selling point around longevity I think that's more about the mind set of the buyer and that it neither pans out in real life or gets you points on looking respectable/admirable/prosperous/well heeled. But I do think that over time cordovan looks like rubber.

And this longevity selling point applies to everything. Anyone who buys clothing today because they think its going to last in perpetuity, i will never see eye to eye with. I get suits made up by my tailor in so called luxury cloths which will last a very long time but i get tired of them.

To each his own I guess ... I value longevity in anything I buy, esp. shoes and I do not mind keeping a pair of shoes for 10+ years (or more) - infact I'd be very happy if all my shoes last me that long.

I disagree with you on the point about shell looking like rubber as it ages - I think that the patina on cordovan is simply amazing. I am yet to see a well worn shell cordovan shoe that I did not like.

just out of curiosity, do you own a pair of shell cordovan shoes?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me the choice of leather vs. cordovan is preference and variety. Its like having a light brown or dark brown or black shoe, or a double leather or single leather sole. Do I think one is categorically superior? I suppose I could pick one favorite if I wanted, but why? I have leather and cordovan. I would get a russian reindeer hide shoe too, if I could.

I like snails... and oysters...

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
To me the choice of leather vs. cordovan is preference and variety. Its like having a light brown or dark brown or black shoe, or a double leather or single leather sole. Do I think one is categorically superior? I suppose I could pick one favorite if I wanted, but why? I have leather and cordovan. I would get a russian reindeer hide shoe too, if I could.

Well put. I too beleive that there is room for both shell and calf in our shoe closets
smile.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Well put. I too beleive that there is room for both shell and calf in our shoe closets
smile.gif

I agree also. I really love shell but the shoes don't work well for all occasions. Every now and then there are special occasions when a sleek calf shoe works better for me.

petr

Reaction score
About the heat .... is there a consensus that the cordovan wears hotter on the foot?

As I am in Louisiana, should this be a valid concern?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads