• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion needed on MTM in Toronto

psangha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
Here's a Trend shirt. Lower left. Light blue stripe. Split yoke, 70's height collar, snug all over, the way I like it.

Toronto_GTG_Dec_13_2008-28.jpg

Timezone Toronto GTG?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone should invite Don Lee to join up.

Mustapha

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
Mustapha, thanks for sharing. Perhaps you'd consider moving the top button just a smidge also? I thought the second button was not supposed to show, but maybe that rule is only for suit jackets. Yes, I like the work he did. I like the shoulders and the sleeves...no puckering or folds. How many cleanings have you done on the jacket so far?
The 'quarters' are 'open'; that's why it shows. 'Closed quarters' are not a good look for me. None, its a cord jacket. Schlubby is good.
biggrin.gif
Originally Posted by psangha
Timezone Toronto GTG?
Yes.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Theodore 1911 in Toronto also does MTM, I believe they do all the work in the basement. You can go down there and see people sewing stuff.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
Theodore 1911 in Toronto also does MTM, I believe they do all the work in the basement. You can go down there and see people sewing stuff.

sometimes you don't want to see that stuff depending on how clean it is (when you say "sewing stuff", sounds like a sweat shop to me)
lol8[1].gif

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
Is it done yet? How did it go?

Updated Post #6 with my recent experiences. Also added a section for Spiro's and Trend Custom Tailors.

-Who will be the first to help document Spiro's and Trend
smile.gif
(that is, if I don't take the plunge there myself)?

korce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer

I believe Theodore 1911 actually outsources their bespoke/MTM work (another tailor blurring the lines between MTM/bespoke in Toronto). IIRC David told me that they get the work done in Italy.

I asked him if they tailor any clothing that was not purchased at the store, and he did not want my business...

They have some nice stuff there, but it is a bit overpriced, and the owner/tailor is not always a friendly guy - unless you've got money to burn.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the store's called Theodore 1922.

Originally Posted by korce
I believe Theodore 1911 actually outsources their bespoke/MTM work (another tailor blurring the lines between MTM/bespoke in Toronto). IIRC David told me that they get the work done in Italy.

I asked him if they tailor any clothing that was not purchased at the store, and he did not want my business...

They have some nice stuff there, but it is a bit overpriced, and the owner/tailor is not always a friendly guy - unless you've got money to burn.

Toronto Bespoke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
Not to get into the debate but it really depends on how you define bespoke. I once had a tailor that claimed that there were no real bespoke tailors left in Toronto (regardless how the various "bespoke" and "custom" shops bill themselves). When I asked to clarify, he indicated he did not know of a single tailor in Toronto that did not start off with a standard paper block pattern during cutting and most use quite a bit of sewing machine to save costs.

Other tailors, tailoring houses or mini manufacturers you may be able to find good value at for MTM in Toronto suits include Spiros, Balfour, Aquarius and Raji's (the suit in my post above).

I just went to Raji's. The service was poor. The shop was disorganized and messy. I had to ask three times about shirts before he would give me an answer and then informed me that custom shirts come in a minimum order of 3 (for $600), custom shirts elsewhere start around $130 and can be bought individually.

We went in shopping for a tuxedo and he wouldn't even listen to this request. Shot it down immediately, told me to go for a three piece suit without even consulting what I already have in my wardrobe or how often I would be using a tux.

We were looking at a supers 120 Australian wool (which he said he would normally charge $1200 for a three-piece suit). When we started to look at a few other books (that we had to pull out from under strewn pieces and bolts of fabric) he told me not to even look at the vitale barberis canonico book or this other book as to make a suit with fabrics from those books cost minimum $2500 (and I have been quoted around $1000-$1500 from other places like Sprezzatura- Fifth on King for the same fabrics).

He did not discuss fit at all and all the suits on the mannequins, even pinned, looked terribly boxy.

Needless to say I was unimpressed with Raji's.

Also, John from Balfour once told me, "You don't want to deliver a suit at 100% or even 99% because then you won't make any money. You want to deliver it at 85% so that it's still good and the customer's happy."
While this statement might be the reality of custom made suits, I don't think it is appropriate to tell a customer you are at best aiming for 85%, can you imagine the actual effort that is going into the garment? Always state you are aiming for 100%, but maybe in this day and age the concept of hard work and the best possible delivery is lost.

osc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toronto Bespoke
I just went to Raji's. The service was poor. The shop was disorganized and messy. I had to ask three times about shirts before he would give me an answer and then informed me that custom shirts come in a minimum order of 3 (for $600), custom shirts elsewhere start around $130 and can be bought individually.

We went in shopping for a tuxedo and he wouldn't even listen to this request. Shot it down immediately, told me to go for a three piece suit without even consulting what I already have in my wardrobe or how often I would be using a tux.

We were looking at a supers 120 Australian wool (which he said he would normally charge $1200 for a three-piece suit). When we started to look at a few other books (that we had to pull out from under strewn pieces and bolts of fabric) he told me not to even look at the vitale barberis canonico book or this other book as to make a suit with fabrics from those books cost minimum $2500 (and I have been quoted around $1000-$1500 from other places like Sprezzatura- Fifth on King for the same fabrics).

He did not discuss fit at all and all the suits on the mannequins, even pinned, looked terribly boxy.

Needless to say I was unimpressed with Raji's.

Also, John from Balfour once told me, "You don't want to deliver a suit at 100% or even 99% because then you won't make any money. You want to deliver it at 85% so that it's still good and the customer's happy."
While this statement might be the reality of custom made suits, I don't think it is appropriate to tell a customer you are at best aiming for 85%, can you imagine the actual effort that is going into the garment? Always state you are aiming for 100%, but maybe in this day and age the concept of hard work and the best possible delivery is lost.

I would expect near 100% (if not 100%) as the customer. Otherwise, I would think that the tailor does NOT have your best interests in mind...I pay for the fabric and the service as well - what dictates whether or not I am a return customer is the service and the sincerity of that store/shop as to if they have done their best to serve me on those particular days.

I do have my final fitting with Fifth on Thursday and am hoping to provide updated feedback shortly. I am also in the market for my 4th suit and am making a comparison of all the shops to see as to which provides excellent quality and service at a decent price point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads