• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking for a minimal sort of mid- to hi-top; leather, preferably gray or black - lace up, I've had it up to here with velcro. I'm in love with the gray Common Projects Achilles mids, but there's no way I can drop upwards of 350$ on a pair of sneakers. I'm hoping to find something around the 100$ mark, but I really haven't seen anything that fits the bill. Does anyone have any recommendations? Mostly, I just dislike loud, obnoxious logos and branding and am looking for something with clean lines - hoping to wear them with skinny black denim. Cheers.

Kodiak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
Hey, I'm looking for a minimal sort of mid- to hi-top; leather, preferably gray or black - lace up, I've had it up to here with velcro. I'm in love with the gray Common Projects Achilles mids, but there's no way I can drop upwards of 350$ on a pair of sneakers. I'm hoping to find something around the 100$ mark, but I really haven't seen anything that fits the bill. Does anyone have any recommendations? Mostly, I just dislike loud, obnoxious logos and branding and am looking for something with clean lines - hoping to wear them with skinny black denim. Cheers.
Maybe some Spring Courts, only $170. http://shop.springcourtusa.com/_B2_P...W7104A9-A.aspx

Or way cheaper, leather chucks, $70. http://www.zappos.com/product/7188222/color/3123

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Not necessarily; call or email them to check. Also, the items may have a different name in the US, so it's probably best to email them with a link to the product page to avoid confusion.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent idea for a thread.

I got rid of all my denim except for the edwin 50x ( or whatever the lowrise slim straight leg is )

Should I get a pair of Levi's 511 indigo to wear for rotation until I've lost enough weight for two pairs of new standards?

Can anyone tell me were I can buy slubby chambray fabric online? Looking to make some t's. And MJK is out of medium.

Thanks!

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Kodiak; I actually tried on a pair of Spring Courts today - size 42 is too small and size 43 is too big, so that's a no go. Plus, the thick soles/toe cap tend to make my feet look large, which is also the case with chucks. It seems like size 10.5 in converse tends to make my feet look very big...I don't suppose anyone has any other ideas? I appreciate the suggestion, though - very much so.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Should I get a pair of Levi's 511 indigo to wear for rotation until I've lost enough weight for two pairs of new standards?

Personally, I would pick up the 511's until I could afford something better than APC's. Personally, I don't find them extraordinary in any way, and really think the rigid 511's are the best value on the lower end of the spectrum.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Razele
Excellent idea for a thread.

I got rid of all my denim except for the edwin 50x ( or whatever the lowrise slim straight leg is )

Thanks!

Why would you get two pairs of new standards ? $150 x 2 = 300 so just get one pair of top of the line jeans.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-Some sort of lightweight, SB, belted, slim fit trench/mac coat with an interesting collar design. Lightweight in a more unlined way so I can wear it in the springtime and layer when it's cold out, preferably water proof or resistant but not a deal breaker. Also, one of the more important things, in an interesting color. Red, metallic red, bright blue, something interesting. Something like this

Steggy

Reaction score
you guys have any ideas on where i can pick up a nice ribbon belt for <50 bucks, or ~50? I don't feel like spending 100 at RL. As far as color i'm sort of undecided. Like, i'll be wearing stuff like this over the summer a decent amount, so i think i should have a good summer belt so i don't have to use my leather penis belt for everything.
ss09polo068000131-navy.jpg
flat-front-shorts_071308.jpg
4250_0895_200.jpg
sorry for the image sizes i'm assuming they will be huge.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steggy
you guys have any ideas on where i can pick up a nice ribbon belt for <50 bucks, or ~50? I don't feel like spending 100 at RL. As far as color i'm sort of undecided. Like, i'll be wearing stuff like this over the summer a decent amount, so i think i should have a good summer belt so i don't have to use my leather penis belt for everything.

Just get something cheap from Old Navy and put the rest of the money into something that matters.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marshall's and H&amp;M are also pretty decent for finding cheap summer belts

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think i should have a good summer belt so i don't have to use my leather penis belt for everything.

lookaround.gif

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lel
-Some sort of lightweight, SB, belted, slim fit trench/mac coat with an interesting collar design. Lightweight in a more unlined way so I can wear it in the springtime and layer when it's cold out, preferably water proof or resistant but not a deal breaker. Also, one of the more important things, in an interesting color. Red, metallic red, bright blue, something interesting. Something like this

I've been looking for something like this too. I think MJK is gonna have a mac, but it's going to be gray.

Originally Posted by wmmk
lookaround.gif

I think he means like this.

nf_bio_1_pic.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads