• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pay full price for Gravati?

tmcevoy213

Reaction score
Hi new friends,

This is my first post, though I have done quite a bit of research here in the past few weeks.

My question is about an upcoming purchase, my first pair of really nice shoes. I'm debating between two styles of Gravati, both in the $500-600 range. (One can be seen at http://www.haroldsintheheights.com/s...SERABLACK.html, the other is a classic black cap toe in stock at Davide Cenci in NYC.) I haven't seen much Gravati for sale on ebay or this website, so I would probably have to shell out retail.

So, do you all think it is a better idea to scour ebay and sf classifieds for used shoes of another brand, or pay full price for these Gravati? Also, please suggest other websites or resources I might use to find used shoes or discounts.

Thanks so much!!

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Gravati makes a nice shoe, though they can get far out. You could do worse at retail. That said, were I in the market for a black captoe, I'd look elsewhere. With the pound so weak, you can get some great deals on English shoes right now. If you haven't, check out plal.com or pediwear.co.uk. (Plal's in Malaysian currency, so you'll have to convert it into dollars.)

For more Italian flair, you also might consider Martegani, available at Francos.com.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Gravati makes a nice shoe, though they can get far out. You could do worse at retail. That said, were I in the market for a black captoe, I'd look elsewhere. With the pound so weak, you can get some great deals on English shoes right now. If you haven't, check out plal.com or pediwear.co.uk. (Plal's in Malaysian currency, so you'll have to convert it into dollars.)

For more Italian flair, you also might consider Martegani, available at Francos.com.

+1, I would definitely seek out the english option. $600 is almost two really nice shoes these days.

tmcevoy213

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I kind of bypassed the English makers because I'm looking for something a little sleeker, not exactly fashion forward, just a little less conservative. I liked the Gravati because stylistically they were a compromise between the conservative English and the more flamboyant of the Italian makers.

I liked some of the Martegani, I'm going to follow those too. Any other ideas?

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just have one pair each of Gravati and Martegani (more "forward" models) and really like them but agree with what DH and PL suggsted. For instance, the C&J Weymouth on the 337 last looks as sleek as the Gravati linked above, if you're looking for a wholecut (just based on photos, but Sera owners can correct me). They also make a non-medallion version which I can't remember the name of at the moment.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tmcevoy213
Thanks for the advice guys. I kind of bypassed the English makers because I'm looking for something a little sleeker, not exactly fashion forward, just a little less conservative. I liked the Gravati because stylistically they were a compromise between the conservative English and the more flamboyant of the Italian makers.

I liked some of the Martegani, I'm going to follow those too. Any other ideas?

At $600, you could look into some Sutors, Ferragamo, or Santoni- mainline at retail, and their upper lines on sale. They will provide the kind of styling you're looking for. English shoes can be just as sleek, but will often have less ostentatious leather finishing than their Italian counterparts. Personally, I would take advantage of the unique economic factor and hop on the English boat.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the shoe in the link, but I will say I love my pair Gravatis. And I paid full price for them. I haven't seen the more conservative models on sale very often. Gravati fit my narrow, flat foot very well. With the softer leather, they are really comfortable as well. So for me paying full price was worth it as I wear them often and really like them.

Of course, it's hard to pay so much when there are very good (and probably better quality) shoes going for much less with the exchange rates as they are.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSN125
I can speak for Gravati, they make a great shoe, indeed sleeker then some of the English makers and as I own numerous pairs, they hold up as well or better then the high-end English makers.

In the old days one could find To Boot shoes made by Gravati, although I have not seen any in years.

For some reason (likely the lack of retail presence and sales) Gravati gets no love on this forum.

Agree that lack of retail presence contributes to Gravati not being as well known as other brands, but I think they are held in high regard here by those who own them.

I think it was the context of value for full price that prompted the other options currently available for the same or less money. If I could find more Gravatis at discount, I'd be all over them.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another fairly conservative Italian look within that price range is Bruno Magli. One of its advantages is that it probably isn't hard to find in NYC stores. It's always good to try on shoes before buying them.

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the shoe in question and I bought it for $219+ tax (pic below). Gravati at full retail is too expensive. Martegani is a good example of a sleek Italian shoe. Also, while some here will disagree, never buy used shoes. Good luck in your search.
Gravati002.jpg

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Another fairly conservative Italian look within that price range is Bruno Magli. One of its advantages is that it probably isn't hard to find in NYC stores. It's always good to try on shoes before buying them.

Quality of BM pales in comparison to Gravati and mainline Santoni and Feragamo shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads