• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seiko Spirit vs. Mondaine EVO

nathan

Reaction score
The Spirit seems to get a lot of love on SF. How about the Mondaine Evo?
Which do you guys prefer?

Seiko:

Diameter: 37 mm
Thickness: 11.2 mm
Movement: Automatic

Image courtesy of TimeTechTock

seikospirit01.jpg

Mondaine Evo:

Diameter: 40mm
Thickness: ??
Movement: Quartz

img14673130rk7.jpg

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spirit. Mondaine looks like it came out of a cracker jack box.

amemovox

Reaction score
Although the Mondaine is iconic in Europe, it does appear to be a bit whimsical. The Seiko, for sure, is the safe bet. The strap should be replaced, in my opinion. An easy modification.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Seiko Spirt is well-loved in part because it has an in-house movement that performs way above its price point. The WIS can buy one and sleep better at night knowing he has a true manufacture watch on his wrist. I don't think the Mondaine's movement is anything special.

nathan

Reaction score
I was actually leaning towards the Spirit as well.
But I compared it to the Mondaine because I think it seems a bit better proportioned.
The Spirit isn't the widest watch in diameter, yet it's certainly as thick as the other big watches out there.

Thanks for your comments. The cracker jack box one made me laugh.

cgo

Reaction score
can someone tell me this website that sells seiko straight from japan? I saw it in SF before but did not bookmarked it
frown.gif

It is run by a seiko hobbyist

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
seiya japan is the web site.

I don't even understand the OP's question. The aesthetics of those two watches could hardly be more different.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The Seiko Spirt is well-loved in part because it has an in-house movement that performs way above its price point. The WIS can buy one and sleep better at night knowing he has a true manufacture watch on his wrist. I don't think the Mondaine's movement is anything special.

Either that, or it's a looker.
inlove.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Either that, or it's a looker.
inlove.gif

Well, yes, it's a nice looking watch. But Seiko has been making watches that look just like that for decades--often for a much lower price. You can find Timex and Fossil watches that look similar; the look is not at all exclusive to Seiko. I don't remember if it was me or another watch enthusiast who introduced the Spirit to this forum, but before it became known of here, it became popular amongst us watch geeks for the reasons I stated above.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a Spirit for my wrist, and a Mondaine wall clock for my office...to each, its purpose.

- B

nathan

Reaction score
Seiya seems to be the place to buy Japanese model Seikos.

Anyone ever try Chino Watch? Their prices seem to be better than Seiya.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads