• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehair Brush

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
After applying shoe cream and letting it dry, what are you supposed to do with the horsehair brush? Do you wipe/buff with a cloth before using the horsehair brush, or do you use a horsehair brush instead of using a cloth?

Imperator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Pontifex
After applying shoe cream and letting it dry, what are you supposed to do with the horsehair brush? Do you wipe/buff with a cloth before using the horsehair brush, or do you use a horsehair brush instead of using a cloth?

I have some brushes, but I have more success getting a high shine with a soft cloth.

aKula

Reaction score
I use the brush before the cloth.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aKula
I use the brush before the cloth.

I notice if you use the brush before the cloth, you can see specks of left over shoe cream on the shoes. So I wipe off with cloth and use the brush.

I have to add I wonder whether there is a discernible difference between using a horsehair or synthetic hair brush.

jcc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by obiter dictum
Moist cotton balls. Mirror shine in ~10 minutes.

Sorry, I HATE spit shines. If I want my shoes to look like patent leather I'd go buy patent leather.

But to answer the OP, use horsehair brush to buff the shoes. Put some elbow grease into it. It will make the shoes look like you've just bought it from the store. If you notice that new shoes aren't shiny, it has more of a dull shine. That's what a horsehair brush will give you.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcc123
Sorry, I HATE spit shines. If I want my shoes to look like patent leather I'd go buy patent leather.

But to answer the OP, use horsehair brush to buff the shoes. Put some elbow grease into it. It will make the shoes look like your just bought it from the store. If you notice that new shoes aren't shiny, it has more of a dull shine. That's what a horsehair brush will give you.

Brushes are used to remove the excess polish, the cloth is used to buff afterwards.

jcc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
Brushes are used to remove the excess polish, the cloth is used to buff afterwards.

What I'm saying is that you can skip the buffing part if you just use your brush to buff. Try it sometime.

BTW, I use only shoe cream. No shoe wax. Wax works both ways. It keeps your leather sealed from the elements but it also keeps it from breathing as it traps your sweat in your shoes. The salt in your sweat will build up overtime in the leather if you don't let it breath leading to cracking.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I brush then buff with a soft cloth.

Style Pontifex

Reaction score
What I'm saying is that you can skip the buffing part if you just use your brush to buff. Try it sometime.

BTW, I use only shoe cream. No shoe wax. Wax works both ways. It keeps your leather sealed from the elements but it also keeps it from breathing as it traps your sweat in your shoes. The salt in your sweat will build up overtime in the leather if you don't let it breath leading to cracking.

Yeah, I only use conditioners and creams for my dress shoes. I do use wax for work boots, though.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Oh, but someone did allude to an interesting question: synthetic vs. real horsehair bristles. Is there a difference?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How does sweat get on the outside of the shoe?
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads