• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Cat Died

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Igor, my solid black mainecoon cat, had to be put to sleep after he was diagnosed with extensive cancer. He had been with my wife since his birth - 15 years ago, and had been with me for the past 9 years. Man, not only did I ever think I'd like cats, but I never would have thought that I'd be so devastated by a death of one.

He was so vocal - not just meows, but many different sounds that clearly indicated his moods and wants. He also always casually followed me around and just hung out with me wherever I was. When I picked him up, I would ultimately put him down not because he wanted down, but because I got tired of holding him.

When we had parties or dinners at our home, he was never the type that hid in the bedroom, but would come out and hang out in the middle of everyone. It was also funny when he'd get jealous if he saw my wife and I hug or kiss - he'd start jumping/running sideways and meow loudly.
laugh.gif

His absence over the last few days has been a huge void of life and love in our home.

Sorry for this thread, but I just had to get it out.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HORNS
Igor, my solid black mainecoon cat, had to be put to sleep after he was diagnosed with extensive cancer. He had been with my wife since his birth - 15 years ago, and had been with me for the past 9 years. Man, not only did I ever think I'd like cats, but I never would have thought that I'd be so devastated by a death of one.

He was so vocal - not just meows, but many different sounds that clearly indicated his moods and wants. He also always casually followed me around and just hung out with me wherever I was. When I picked him up, I would ultimately put him down not because he wanted down, but because I got tired of holding him.

When we had parties or dinners at our home, he was never the type that hid in the bedroom, but would come out and hang out in the middle of everyone. It was also funny when he'd get jealous if he saw my wife and I hug or kiss - he'd start jumping/running sideways and meow loudly.
laugh.gif

His absence over the last few days has been a huge void of life and love in our home.

Sorry for this thread, but I just had to get it out.

My condolences. Never a cat person but I feel your pain.
frown.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I had one cat that was 17 yrs old and another one that was 8 years old both die within a month after I left home for school. I feel you man.
frown.gif
Cats r the best.

Pix?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this. Pets certainly add good things to our lives.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Very sad. I'm sorry for your loss. It is amazing how pets can get into your life and into your heart. It is one of the touchstones that makes us human, I suppose.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
Sincerest condolences. I've got a green-eyed, black Maine **** with white paws and underside with a very similar personality. He's somewhere between 10-12 years old (I got him fully grown from an ex who adopted him from a shelter) and in good health so far. I can't imagine how I'm going to handle it when the inevitable comes. At least you had yours for a good while.

Don't know your situation but I've recommended this website to other people I've known who've lost animals: http://www.petloss.com. Maybe a little cheesy, but if it works for you, who cares.

Sorry for your loss.

bullethead

Reaction score
^ My family has had many stray animals over the years. Often brought home so we could "find them a home", it's funny how after several days the were "no longer available for adoption".

when you're ready, pick up another cat. It won't be the same but pretty soon it will do something stupid that will make you laugh when you're by yourself on the way to work.

sorry for your loss

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I really think I know how you feel.

You could do this ( see post 27 ).

After 18 years of faithful service ( from me to her ), Little Cat watches me from the mantle.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I'm incompetent at posting pictures, but I'll try to find one. He looked just like this one (not my picture):
black_maine_coon10.jpg

Also, what was funny was that he LOVED cashmere and would "make biscuits" whenever he got onto a sweater, throw, or even a sock laying on the bed. It was the only thing, besides my belly, that he'd do that with. He'd walk across the bed while I'd be putting away laundry, but when he put his paw on a cashmere sock he'd stop and start kneading it!

Every morning, I'd get up and make coffee. I'd start the grinder and then turn around and he'd all of a sudden be on the bar, yawning and quietly watch me make the coffee. I'd then get a ramekin and pour a little bit of half and half - which he'd lap up some and then start meowing. His meow would sound like he had peanut butter in his mouth because of the milk fat. After he smacked his mouth and clean him self with his half and half mouth, he'd then hop back into bed with my wife and sleep until she got up. Then, he'd get his wet food and wash it down with the remaining half and half he didn't drink. This routine went on every day for the past nine years.

Then, as my wife would be getting ready in the morning, he'd want to play. Whenever she was standing at the closet, looking for what to wear that day, he'd wrap his paw around her leg and gently bite her calf. What a lover he was as well. When we'd lay on the couch, he'd root up as close to me as he could and squirm onto his back so his belly was exposed for me to rub. As soon as I started rubbing his belly, he'd look up into my eyes, transfixed, and start making biscuits into the air while purring the whole time.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I'm sorry, I really think I know how you feel.

You could do this ( see post 27 ).

After 18 years of faithful service ( from me to her ), Little Cat watches me from the mantle.

Yeah, I'm having him cremated - I couldn't think of anything else to do for him, out of respect. I've got a leather box that I bought in Florence last year that I think will be perfect for his remains. I don't want him to be buried in a yard that could someday be inadvertently dug up, and I didn't want him to be just dumped somewhere by the SPCA vet hospital.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lone Wolf
Sincerest condolences. I've got a green-eyed, black Maine **** with white paws and underside with a very similar personality. He's somewhere between 10-12 years old (I got him fully grown from an ex who adopted him from a shelter) and in good health so far. I can't imagine how I'm going to handle it when the inevitable comes. At least you had yours for a good while.

Don't know your situation but I've recommended this website to other people I've known who've lost animals: http://www.petloss.com. Maybe a little cheesy, but if it works for you, who cares.

Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for the advice and link.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear that. I have 4 dogs and 3 of them are getting up there and years, and I dread the day when we have to start putting them down
frown.gif
I'd suggest you do something to memoralize the cat. Maybe get something engraved.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics