• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today - 5 1/3 just to keep the legs moving. Would have done more, but laundry is starting to pile up.

GeoPa58

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
No training runs over 20? I've run the Chicago Marathon 5 times, but stopped a few years ago because my knees started bugging me for the longer distances (old motorcyle accident, I suspect); I only run 5-10 miles nowadays, alternating with my weight training.

Anyway, I followed the training guides for my first and those last few miles sucked on race day. After that, I always worked up to 25 miles by the month before, then tapered.

Yeah, that's the recipe. No training runs over 20. The last couple of miles can be rough, but haven't always been. I try to do a good carbo loading, and drink enough water during the race. Who knows what the secret is? Not I. Keep running!

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Just did 4 miles despite my knotted up back. After about a mile my back loosened up considerably. No speed records today, but I did get through it. My knee also held up okay after last Friday's flame out 2 miles into the run. I'm icing it right now. Wednesday and Thursday I did about about 90 mins of x-training (each day) playing Ultimate Frisbee.

The 4 miles I did Tuesday and today are my longest distances yet. There's a 5k at the end of the month I plan to run. I'm probably not going to try extending my distance much between now and then, but maybe try to work on improving my current run time.

By the way, fantastic weather today. Temp around 70 during my run with just enough breeze to cool me off. Loved it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Today: 4 miles only, time was getting tight this morning. Pretty easy run but now my left foot aches a bit.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same run as I've been doing lately, but pushed it a little. Finished the first 5k in about 27 mins, which is good for me, esp on a nonrace day
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Weekend is sposed to be so nice--probably do my first 8- or 10-miler in months.

jwied82

Reaction score
It was pretty nice here today so i ran 90 minutes (13.4 mi). It was like 82 degrees and sunny earlier and it felt HOT but when i ran the temp had dropped a few degrees and it had gotten cloudy so it felt alot cooler, which i was happy about because im not ready for the heat yet... the first few days of this week i was running in 25-30 degree weather.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 miles yesterday. Today I did a little cross training of 4 miles of stadium stairs with sets of crunches every 1/4 mile. I also mixed in a couple 400s as fast as I could run - nice change of pace.

heavy D

Reaction score
4 miles on the treadmill. I HATE the treadmill...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
First run since Friday, b/c of the strep throat.
Only 3 miles, and it was absolutely exhausting.

BeeZee

Reaction score
Only 3 miles on a elliptical machine while wearing sweats. Afterwards my clothes were drenched

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Any of you runners suffer from jumpers knee? i dont know how common it is with runners?

turbozed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ibleedwhite
Any of you runners suffer from jumpers knee? i dont know how common it is with runners?

It's common for women who are long distance runners. Here's a pubmed study:

Patellar-tendinopathy (PT) is a common overuse injury in long distance runners, especially in women. Until today, no definite combinations of clinical, biomechanical, or training variables, or causative factors in the development of PT have been found. This study focused on assessing the differences in biomechanical characteristics between healthy runners (CO) and runners with PT only. We examined a total of 42 women. 21 CO and 21 PT. 3D kinematics of barefoot running was used in the biomechanical setup. Both groups were matched with respect to height and weight. After determining dropouts due to forefoot running, poor quality of data and lack of matching subjects in CO in terms of body height and weight, the final population comprised 24 subjects (CO=12, PT=12). Biomechanical evaluations indicate eccentric overloading of the quadriceps muscle group (knee extensors), increased pronation velocity as well as a lack of joint coordination as major etiological factors in the development of PT. We assume that eccentric strengthening of the knee extensors, as well as reduction of pronation velocity through orthotics, proper running shoes, and balance training will help treat and possibly prevent PT.
Yet again, doing squats is the answer!

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
today: dragged my tired ass over 5 1/3 miles, on four hours' sleep. Still tired.

Eagle

Reaction score
Ground out 6.7 miles today...not pretty, not fast , not even pretty fast but, by gawd I did it!
eh.gif

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turbozed
It's common for women who are long distance runners. Here's a pubmed study:

Yet again, doing squats is the answer!

Squats is the answer? thats what eccentric training is?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads