• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

100 proof alcohol...

Bouji

Reaction score
Got a bottle of stoli blue as regular 40% whisky, vodka, gin etc. just didn't cut it anymore...
Question is, is it more pure? Mendlev worked with 40% vol vodka, but to me 100 proof (50% vol) sounds more pure...

makushin

Reaction score
Pure in what sense? It has just been distilled more. Yes, it is more pure etOH if that is what you're after.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
You seem like sort of an alcoholic honestly.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you mean by "didn't cut it anymore?" Are you unhappy with the quality of what you've been drinking? If so, this has little to do with proof and much to do with the quality of the spirits. You can move up to something that will cut it with quality without increasing the amount of alcohol in the liquor.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "pure" I mean you can get 100% alcohol, that will be pure alcohol and also be a purely stupid idea.
The percentage of the booze does not improve the flavour (although with some complex spirits like whiskey I believe a slightly higher % of alcohol is desirable for some flavours) I have drunk stuff that was 80% and 90% alcohol with friends on the continent, both turned out to be really bad idea.

The 80% turned out to be for cleaning wounds, and the 90% stuff, well the next day the girls I was staying with asked us where all the nail polish remover had gone, apparently it was meant for cleaning jobs.

juniper

Reaction score
100 proof is 57.15%, not 50%.

100 proof being the minimum percentage which would light gunpowder. Hence "Navy Strength Rum".

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drink Bacardi 151.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by juniper
100 proof is 57.15%, not 50%.

100 proof being the minimum percentage which would light gunpowder. Hence "Navy Strength Rum".

I did not know that.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
I did not know that.

Note that his statement only applies to the UK. In the U.S. percent alcohol is proof divided by two, i.e. 100 proof is 50% alcohol by volume.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CTGuy
You seem like sort of a teenager honestly.

FTFY

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
Note that his statement only applies to the UK. In the U.S. percent alcohol is proof divided by two, i.e. 100 proof is 50% alcohol by volume.

Ah! I thought something was off!

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I keep a bottle of Everclear around when working on my motorbikes; it cuts grease like nothing else, disinfects my bleeding knuckles, and washes my frustrations away!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads