• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Clothing advice to a new investment banker

davidsj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by principal
Hey guys,

I will be starting as an analyst in a few months in Toronto.

Not to be nitpicky, but as a word of caution you shouldn't call yourself an "investment banker" until you're at least associate level, and even then MAYBE. If your MD or your cowoerks at your bank hear you call yourself that you'll be the butt of many jokes.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.harryrosen.com/en/harrys_...hat_wear.shtml oh, there's a lot, a lot to talk about. But basically I recomend starting small/slow. Once you've got a good feel for it and more money, then start building up. Right now just get the basics... Get 2 pairs of shoes, 1-2 suits (navy and charcoal - maybe pinstripe), 2 white shirts, 2 blue shirts, 3 basic minimal patterned colored shirts. 3-5 ties. That's a start... Try everything from H&M, to Harry Rosen and take your time. Fit on a tonne of stuff and take someone with you who wears a suit (well) every day. Assuming you're not going to know everything day one, you'll end up looking back at whatever you buy now in a few months and throw it out and start again anyway. PS - if you perform well, nobody cares what you're wearing. PPS - are you sure you need suit and tie everyday? I have 2 brothers who both did tier 1 consulting and banking and in 3-5 years never needed more then 1-2 suits. Shirt and slacks was generally everyday wear with the occasional meeting...

davidsj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter

PPS - are you sure you need suit and tie everyday? I have 2 brothers who both did tier 1 consulting and banking and in 3-5 years never needed more then 1-2 suits. Shirt and slacks was generally everyday wear with the occasional meeting...

Depends on the bank. Some (GS, MS) require suits everyday. I'm sure some of the smaller boutiques have more lax standards. It also depends on whether you're front office or back.[/I]

principal

Reaction score
Okay I decided to order 2 AE shoes from amazon.com. One pair of park avenue and the other hales.
For a start are those acceptable shoes with suits? I'm guessing one black and one brown for now.

My only problem is sizing. I measured my feet and they are 11.5 inches in length and about 4.2 inches width at the top (the widest part below the pinky). So which size should i go for? How do the letter widths work?

untilted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidsj
Not to be nitpicky, but as a word of caution you shouldn't call yourself an "investment banker" until you're at least associate level, and even then MAYBE. If your MD or your cowoerks at your bank hear you call yourself that you'll be the butt of many jokes.

you shouldnt call yourself an banker til VP level when you actually make the phone calls in my opinion.

Imperator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidsj
Depends on the bank. Some (GS, MS) require suits everyday. I'm sure some of the smaller boutiques have more lax standards. It also depends on whether you're front office or back.

GS does NOT require suits everyday. That's bunk.

korce

Reaction score
For shoes you may also want to check out the Dack's store in BCE Place. They have a sale on right now - 50% off everything in the store.

Alot of the product is crappy Ecco, etc. for square-toed shoe wearing fools.

But, the Dack's house brand is made now by Cheaney's I believe and most are fine quality goodyear welted shoes. Just make sure you get something in a calf leather, as some of their shoes use "polished bookbinder" aka corrected grain leather which is not what you want.

I bought a pair of the "Turner" brogue in Dark Leaf Brown there the other day for $237.50 down from $475. At the discounted price they are worth checking out.

davidsj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imperator
GS does NOT require suits everyday. That's bunk.

My bad I think you're right. It's been a while since any of my friends worked there.

principal

Reaction score
Okay I decided to order 2 AE shoes from amazon.com. One pair of park avenue and the other hales.
For a start are those acceptable shoes with suits? I'm guessing one black and one brown for now.

My only problem is sizing. I measured my feet and they are 11.5 inches in length and about 4.2 inches width at the top (the widest part below the pinky). So which size should i go for? How do the letter widths work?

anyone familiar with sizings?

davidsj

Reaction score
anyone familiar with sizings?

Length wise they fit pretty true to size, from my experience. If you generally have a wider or slightly wider foot, I think an E width would work. They generally have a lower instep, so you may need a wider size.

Alpha Male

Reaction score
Ok bro, this is what you do. For suits, there is no better mixture of style and sophistication than Hugo Boss...it will let everyone around the office know that you are a force to be reckoned with. As for dress shirts, you can pick up something SWeet at Express that should fall within your budget, or you can be a high roller and go with ETRO. If you want to be a true *alpha* then go with the better shirts and save money on your shoes since nobody can tell the difference on those. I get a lot of positive comments on my square toed Kenneth Coles, whereas I tend to look down on the dorks who roll up in captoes.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- read the board
- search function is your friend
- do not rush your purchases

click clack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alpha Male
Ok bro, this is what you do. For suits, there is no better mixture of style and sophistication than Hugo Boss...it will let everyone around the office know that you are a force to be reckoned with. As for dress shirts, you can pick up something SWeet at Express that should fall within your budget, or you can be a high roller and go with ETRO. If you want to be a true *alpha* then go with the better shirts and save money on your shoes since nobody can tell the difference on those. I get a lot of positive comments on my square toed Kenneth Coles, whereas I tend to look down on the dorks who roll up in captoes.
troll, troll, troll your boat.....

bc78

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alpha Male

confused.gif

Alpha Male

Reaction score
Originally Posted by click clack
troll, troll, troll your boat.....

LOL @ you and your three posts trying to call out a valued member and regular contributor to this forum. Come back when you're a bit more established.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads