• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^

i guess just go over the entire boot again with RM williams dark tan to get the same colour or just leave it as cool anteiquing.

two things (and i think the former was already mentioned)

1. on nungars site it appears that RM williams makes a chiefly shoe which looks fairly cool anyone got one?

2. the french veal is now $360 which is much cheaper than the $470 ish on the RM williams site. yay me, does nungar still get the forum special?

Cheers,

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by strangebrew
I slightly scuffed the top of my Kangaroo craftsman the other day. I went over the mark with some brown kiwi polish and now there is a very dark brown almost black spot where the scuff was and it looks kind of ******.

Anything I can do, or should I just deal with it?

Take them to a shoe repair guy - they might help. AFAIK though...you'll have to finish the job and turn your craftsman into a dark brown one.

wetnose

Reaction score
Just ordered my Roo Comfort craftsman from bootsonline.com.

I was lucky to try the yearling Comfort craftsman at a local store and the 7G was superb. I normally wear a 7.5 E in an Allen Edmonds Last #8.

So my order was:

1) 7.5 F
2) Narrow medium toe
3) Comfort craftsman features
4) Flat heel
5) Kangaroo hide, in tanback (light brown color)

Total order came up AUD 380 including shipping. They told me to expect them within 4-5 weeks. Can't wait!

oaw01

Reaction score
What's the heel height for the block heel and the flat heel ?

Inf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wrigglez
... does nungar still get the forum special?
The forum special is just a combination of options for an MTO pair, you should still be able to order it through him, or anyone else who does MTO for RMW if you are aware of all the particulars.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by strangebrew
I slightly scuffed the top of my Kangaroo craftsman the other day. I went over the mark with some brown kiwi polish and now there is a very dark brown almost black spot where the scuff was and it looks kind of ******.

Anything I can do, or should I just deal with it?

Just wear them. I have had a pair of Roo's for about 3 years, they pretty much look like the day I got them, except they have a few wrinkles and the soles have worn a bit. These roo RM's are like kevlar on your feet.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Inf

Reaction score
Just thought I would add another data point to the thread...

I searched earlier seeing if anyone posted experiences about putting mink oil on their chestnut RMW, and found no mention. I was concerned it would darken the color a lot.

I worked a pretty good coat into my Kangaroo chestnut RMW and they did not get noticeably darker. Mink oil has always been my favorite stuff to condition leather shoes with.

RJATL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Inf
Just thought I would add another data point to the thread...

I searched earlier seeing if anyone posted experiences about putting mink oil on their chestnut RMW, and found no mention. I was concerned it would darken the color a lot.

I worked a pretty good coat into my Kangaroo chestnut RMW and they did not get noticeably darker. Mink oil has always been my favorite stuff to condition leather shoes with.

What about using the RM Williams Saddle Dressing? I've ordered a pair of Chestnut Cloncurry boots from bootsonline and noted the saddle dressing for sale. I'm hoping the Chestnut is a dark brown already?

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJATL
What about using the RM Williams Saddle Dressing? I've ordered a pair of Chestnut Cloncurry boots from bootsonline and noted the saddle dressing for sale. I'm hoping the Chestnut is a dark brown already?

The saddle dressing is totally neutral and will not darken/lighten any color of leather you apply it. I just applied it to all of my leather items (light, dark, tan, jacket, bags, shoes, wallet, etc) on the weekend and there was no change to any of the items.

Just use a old terry cloth, take a small dab and apply in a gentle circular motion. Don't buff dry, just leave to set in for 24 hours....then buff with another cloth.

RJATL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wetnose
The saddle dressing is totally neutral and will not darken/lighten any color of leather you apply it. I just applied it to all of my leather items (light, dark, tan, jacket, bags, shoes, wallet, etc) on the weekend and there was no change to any of the items.

Just use a old terry cloth, take a small dab and apply in a gentle circular motion. Don't buff dry, just leave to set in for 24 hours....then buff with another cloth.

Interesting. Thanks. What would darken the leather (to the extent Chestnut needs darkening at all)?

OAP

Reaction score
hello everybody,

may i ask another question on size and leather (sorry if this already covered but 91 pages...maybe i missed it).

i am the proud owner of a pair of craftsman yearling black already.
the craftsman is 6.5F and fits good with standard socks. Wearing thinner (dress) socks they are not as snug as i would like them to be (both length and width, small feet). furthermore i would prefer to have a sleeker look.

now i am thinking about getting me a pair of turnouts in whiskey (like those ...). reason for turnout is that i like more the round toe shape.
1. do i have to consider the different last of the turnout in terms of size (length and width)?
2. the whiskey colour, is it offered in other then yearling leather (k'roo or calf, which i would def. prefer)?
3. if so, would i have to consider the change in leather in terms of size?
4. taken this into account would you suggest going down in width from f to e?

And finaly: what are your current experiences with bootsonline vs. nungar? especially given that i live in germany i wouldn't like to buy a 10 bucks or so discount with a bad service....

thanks a lot for your help

best
oliver

OAP

Reaction score
hello everybody,

may i ask another question on size and leather (sorry if this already covered but 91 pages...maybe i missed it).

i am the proud owner of a pair of craftsman yearling black already.
the craftsman is 6.5F and fits good with standard socks. Wearing thinner (dress) socks they are not as snug as i would like them to be (both length and width, small feet). furthermore i would prefer to have a sleeker look.

now i am thinking about getting me a pair of turnouts in whiskey (like those ...). reason for turnout is that i like more the round toe shape.
1. do i have to consider the different last of the turnout in terms of size (length and width)?
2. the whiskey colour, is it offered in other then yearling leather (k'roo or calf, which i would def. prefer)?
3. if so, would i have to consider the change in leather in terms of size?
4. taken this into account would you suggest going down in width from f to e?

And finaly: what are your current experiences with bootsonline vs. nungar? especially given that i live in germany i wouldn't like to buy a 10 bucks or so discount with a bad service....

thanks a lot for your help

best
oliver

Yearling MTO

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OAP, bootsonline is open for business & answering emails. you might try your questions one at a time with them by email. it's doubtful any of us know enough to answer those questions.

wetnose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJATL
Interesting. Thanks. What would darken the leather (to the extent Chestnut needs darkening at all)?

Depending on the dye-lot, the Chestnut might not need darkening at all. The RM Williams store had 1 shoe in chestnut vesta on display, 1 for the swatches and another one that the sales guy was wearing.

They were all supposed to be the same color, but they were all slightly different. The sales guy's shoes were very dark and he had just received his. Supposedly they might lighten with age.

If you really wanted to darken it, then you can probably buy the RM williams shoe polish (1 black, 1 brown) and experiment. Melt them in various portions and experiment....but there's no turning back after that though. Leather ain't photoshop....
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads