• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fragrance Top 10

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 8bpc
Any suggestions for something nice that might be somewhat comparable to Vera Wang for men?

Have you tried Tom Ford for men? OR, if you want something cheaper, try the original Escada Pour Homme (which often they have at places like marshall's very cheaply). Both have a sort of warm, manly vibe that is also very subtle.

Something more expensive would be maybe Creed Tabarome.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up several samples from CB I Hate Perfume. I really like Wild Hunt. I'm really into wood/forest scents and this one is realistic as well as being pleasant and surprisingly wearable.

What's the deal with water perfume, though? I noticed that some of the samples were quite thick and cloudy, while others were clear. I also heard that water perfume has little to no sillage.

CB offers his perfume in two versions for the same price - a 15 mL perfume absolute (Diisoproply Adipate based. What is this?) and a 85 mL water perfume. Can one of the resident fragrance experts break down the essential differences between these formats?

Thanks.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ I'm just posting in response to say that I don't have a clue. :/

Well, okay, I don't have a clue WHY he would bother with the term "water perfume", since pretty much any EdT out there is essentially fragrance oils, suspended in alcohol and mixed with water. Parfum (or extrait) tends to be much heavier on the oils and ligher on the water. Odds are he's using a mix that's heavy on the water and lighter on the alcohol.

But to break down the differences - and probably tell you something you already know - you have your oil mix which gives the scent. Dilute with alcohol a bit, maybe a 2:1 ratio and you have parfum/perfume/extrait concentration. Dilute again 1:1 and you're roughly at EdP. Dilute further and you're at EdT. Keep diluting and you're at EdC.

Why bother with all this? It depends on how you want to apply - parfum concentration tends to be oily and heavy, so you don't spray but rather dab lightly. EdT is easier to deal with and sprayable so a lot of folks go for that, particularly men. No mess, no fuss, just spray and go.

the other point to consider is that some houses (Guerlain, for instance) tweak the formula depending on the concentration - the EdT is at times a bit weaker and thinner (to avoid gassing people who overspray) while the parfums tend to be fuller and richer.

If in doubt, go for the Edt or "water perfume"

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Thomas,

However, Christopher Brosius specifically mentions on his website that he entirely avoids the use of alcohol. He just dilutes the oils with distilled water.

From cbihateperfume.com

Q: What are the ingredients in CB Perfume?

A: The ingredients in all CB Absolutes are: Diisoproply Adipate (extracted from Beet Juice) and Fragrance. The Ingredients in all CB Water Perfumes & CB HOME Sprays are: Distilled Water, Fragrance, PPG-26 Buteth-26, PEG-40 and Hydrogenated Castor Oil. No specially denatured alcohol is used in ANY CB Perfume.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw
Thanks Thomas,

However, Christopher Brosius specifically mentions on his website that he entirely avoids the use of alcohol. He just dilutes the oils with distilled water.

From cbihateperfume.com

Q: What are the ingredients in CB Perfume?

A: The ingredients in all CB Absolutes are: Diisoproply Adipate (extracted from Beet Juice) and Fragrance. The Ingredients in all CB Water Perfumes & CB HOME Sprays are: Distilled Water, Fragrance, PPG-26 Buteth-26, PEG-40 and Hydrogenated Castor Oil. No specially denatured alcohol is used in ANY CB Perfume.

Do you have to shake the bottle first? I'm mystified how he does it unless the castor oil dissipates the fragrance. Wow. Good to know this.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Do you have to shake the bottle first? I'm mystified how he does it unless the castor oil dissipates the fragrance. Wow. Good to know this.

I don't know. I haven't bought a bottle yet. I just have samples. Some are thick and opaque while others are clear and watery. There doesn't seem to be any visible separation anyways. I am curious as to how this works as well.

BAMF624

Reaction score
Recently tried the new Gucci by Gucci and I love it.

Although I buy all my Fragrances off ebay for about half the price as in the store.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BAMF624
Recently tried the new Gucci by Gucci and I love it.

Although I buy all my Fragrances off ebay for about half the price as in the store.

I remember sniffing the Gucci and thinking it felt a little too "safe," but I didn't sniff enough to give it a shot.

Anyway, it's good that you use alternative sources to buy your fragrances; with all the discounters out there, paying retail for anything but a VERY few hard-to-find ones is crazy.

Why pay Hermes $90 for 100mls eau d'orange verte when you can get a giant 250ml bottle for $40?

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also do not have a list of ten, but:

1. Floris Vetiver
2. Blenheim Bouquet
3. Creed - GIT

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
I also do not have a list of ten, but:

1. Floris Vetiver
2. Blenheim Bouquet
3. Creed - GIT

All three excellent choices, Count.

If you are a vetiver fan, have you tried Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire? A lot of people hate it, but I find it really nice. It's got the most pungent Vetiver note out there with no sweetness, only green.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i bought the malle only to find it turn strangely fetid and sour on me. i think ive tried all the vetivers - hermes vetiver tonka (strange nutty waffle note, smells almost edible), chanel sycomore (too sweet, girly) and etro (a strange incense note). guerlain remains my all time number one, i'd love to try the older version though.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
All three excellent choices, Count.

If you are a vetiver fan, have you tried Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire? A lot of people hate it, but I find it really nice. It's got the most pungent Vetiver note out there with no sweetness, only green.

I will definitely search it out. Am relatively new to fragrance and have been enjoying this thread a great deal.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
I will definitely search it out. Am relatively new to fragrance and have been enjoying this thread a great deal.
It's definitely a different take on vetiver; I'd be curious to get your opinion. Most vetiver fragrances put something in to sweeten/temper it, but the Malle just plays it up with some spices and woods. SO, it's quite bitter, but incredibly crisp. I love it. If you send them an email via their site (http://www.editionsdeparfums.com/) I believe that they will still send you a complimentary sample of it. This is advisable since it runs about $180 for a bottle and it definitely isn't a scent that everybody will like (I know as many people who hate it as love it). Their Bigarade Concentree is another favorite of mine... it's a very fresh, "stinky" citrus scent that is very unique.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BAMF624
Recently tried the new Gucci by Gucci and I love it. Although I buy all my Fragrances off ebay for about half the price as in the store.
You buy designer fragrances off ebay? That's a good way to get ripped off.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
You buy designer fragrances off ebay? That's a good way to get ripped off.

....maybe. There are some that are definite no-go scents (Chancel Chance and Creed Green Irish Tweed come to mind), there are others that are more than likely safe (Azzaro pour homme, Signoricci), and the rest fall in between. Definitely caveat emptor when buying off ebay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads