• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions needed for my wedding shoes

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly hope that you get the pants hemmed and don't wear a t-shirt.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
crazy.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Conventional wisdom would state that only patent leather (or velvet slippers etc) should be worn with a tuxedo. But you can get away with the shoes if you polish them to a high-gloss.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
Conventional wisdom would state that only patent leather (or velvet slippers etc) should be worn with a tuxedo. But you can get away with the shoes if you polish them to a high-gloss.

+1 on the 1st part but I believe most here would disagree that the shoes are acceptable. The whole point of formalwear, I believe, is to depart from "busineswear"; hence the general disdain on SF for tuxes with notched lapels (although I think they look pretty cool). The main difference here though is that there is no mistaking these for your everyday workhorse captoes...as in either this guy doesn't know the difference between work shoes and formal shoes or he was just too cheap/lazy to get the proper shoes. IF you are going to "break the rules" I think it would be much better to do it in a more "intentional" way...say like wearing a pair of Chucks.

Cool tux BTW.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Faded501s
+1 on the 1st part but I believe most here would disagree that the shoes are acceptable. The whole point of formalwear, I believe, is to depart from "busineswear"; hence the general disdain on SF for tuxes with notched lapels (although I think they look pretty cool). The main difference here though is that there is no mistaking these for your everyday workhorse captoes...as in either this guy doesn't know the difference between work shoes and formal shoes or he was just too cheap/lazy to get the proper shoes. IF you are going to "break the rules" I think it would be much better to do it in a more "intentional" way...say like wearing a pair of Chucks.

Cool tux BTW.

Or suede Bals.

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
shoes: if you aren't doing patent leather, go with something more sleek and low profile, less 'blobby', and shine the **** out of them.

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny

The design of the tux has elements that deviate from the classic tux. Part of the decision making process was that we did not want the wedidng to be completely formal. The gentlemen in the wedding party will be wearing suits instead of tuxes, for example. My choice of what to wear was meant to differentiate. As such, I had hoped to stay away from patent leather. I have considered velvet but haven't found anything really to my liking. If I were to go with something like those linked, they would be a high gloss.

Would this be gauche: http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/_shop/...301-photo3.jpg

Or these: http://store.costumenational.com/ite...d10=441384391B

Or these: http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/COSTUM...r_poweratman80

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely don't wear wingtips. And definitely don't wear women's pumps. Church's makes the patent leather oxfords that Brooks Brothers sells, I believe. Buy those. Buying the third pair linked to above just because they're ugly is not good differentiation.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Definitely don't wear wingtips. And definitely don't wear women's pumps. Church's makes the patent leather oxfords that Brooks Brothers sells, I believe. Buy those. Buying the third pair linked to above just because they're ugly is not good differentiation.
The Church's/BB model looks nice. Any other comparable pairs? Any that might have a bit more elegant last?

JohnGalt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade

These? http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnGalt
That I would like - just hard to find something good!

I have a pair from SWEAR that arent the best quality but work and I got them from $30 on sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads