• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

People that do MMA

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much muscle weight can fighters gain above their natural weight until it actually becomes detrimental to their performance?
eh.gif

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TyCooN
How much muscle weight can fighters gain above their natural weight until it actually becomes detrimental to their performance?
eh.gif

I'm not sure of the answer, but keep in mind that for everything but the heaviest weight you have to balance putting on muscle with going up into the next weight class.

Illuminate07

Reaction score
depends on the style of the fighter, someone more aggressive(example would be Diego Sanchez) or a wrestler, would need to do a lot of cardio and conditioning so they wouldn't put on a lot of muscle. If you're just going to stand up and throw big punches or simply overpower someone (a la Rampage Jackson) then it doesn't really matter how much muscle you put on

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally fighters will try to LOOSE weight and fight below their natural weight class. It is rare and almost always results in disaster for a fighter to pack on muscle to fight at a higher weight class. Ninja, an natural 170-185 pound fighter fought in an heavy weight tourney (205+) and had his ass handed to him by a guy who walks around naturally at about 220-230.
Wanderlei fought in an open weight tourney and packed on about twenty pounds to weigh about 230 and went 1-1 but some think that the ass kicking he was handed by a natural HW was what caused his fall form the top. He now is fighting at 195 soon to be 185.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we're talking about MMA, but the same is not true for boxing. De La Hoya and Erik Morales both tried to fight below their natural weight against Pacquiao and got their asses served. On the other hand, Pacquiao bulked up for the De La Hoya fight and was able to beat him down.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tycoon, are you talking competative MMA, or self defense MMA? for the most part keeping a thin but firm body is going to help anything where you are looking at an extended fight. being strong enough to pick somebody up and throw him is a nice trick, though.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
tycoon, are you talking competative MMA, or self defense MMA? for the most part keeping a thin but firm body is going to help anything where you are looking at an extended fight. being strong enough to pick somebody up and throw him is a nice trick, though.
Competitive. Interesting, so there's no packing on some more weight to fight in the heavier weight class as a fighter becomes more seasoned in the MMA game like they do in boxing?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Competitive.

Interesting, so there's no packing on some more weight to fight in the heavier weight class as a fighter becomes more seasoned in the MMA game like they do in boxing?

no knowledge of this side. good luck

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Competitive.

Interesting, so there's no packing on some more weight to fight in the heavier weight class as a fighter becomes more seasoned in the MMA game like they do in boxing?

One thing to realize about boxing is that the weight classes are like three pounds apart so moving up and down is a lot easier.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are really going to fight competitively shouldn't you have a coach to answer these questions? He'll know your skills, body type, and size and have a better idea than all SF combined.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
If you are really going to fight competitively shouldn't you have a coach to answer these questions? He'll know your skills, body type, and size and have a better idea than all SF combined.
Nah I don't do MMA. Been boxing for a few months. Seeing all that muscle on UFC made me wonder.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it all matters. in boxing many times losing weight a fighter dehydrates himself too much because they either didnt do it properly and had to kill themselves to make weight, or their body just isnt ment to work so hard at that low of a weight. also remember boxing is 12 rounds and not 3 or 5. so the later rounds can wear on someone who pushed to lose weight. on the other hand many boxers can walk around 20-25 pounds above their fighting weight, so going up a weight class may not hurt them as much. either way, its always best to have long lean muscles when you fight. being bulky is generally not good for a fighter.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe when the extra weight starts to slow you down or if one needs to fight a long fight (higher rounds)...

I was scheduled to have my first Muay Thai fight (amateur) last year before a bunch of **** happened (lost job, injured in motorcycle accident) and I just remember my coach saying at the time that a stronger fighter (more muscular?) will have an advantage against someone smaller of the same skill level.

BUT, I also know that heavier fighters can get tired much quicker because of carrying extra muscle. They can be slower as well. So more muscle and weight would be bad for longer bouts.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for me i make sure to stay under 200 lbs to make sure i dont end up in super heavy weight. yeah most of them are fat and out of shape, but some of them are massive and hit hard as ****. my second fight i weighed about 195, the heavy weight division is 185-199, and the guy i fought was probably on the lighter end of the HW division. i spoke to him after the fight and he said he was trying to go down to a lighter weight because HW was too big for him. if i took boxing serious enough i would probably want to go below 185 as i would probably have even more of an advantage at that weight. so generally the lowest weight you can go to healthy is usually the best to fight at.

awxg

Reaction score
Competitive.

Packing in more muscle weight does lose some of its advantages the higher up you go. I'm sure Fedor knows the answer very well.

fedor-hong-man-choi-yarennoka.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads