• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Pictures of your Tattoos

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lost in va
Where in NYC do you go, or would you suggest? I'll be there this weekend and wouldn't mind getting something done.

Did you?

lost in va

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Did you?

Sorry, I meant next weekend. I'll be there the 13th - 15th and I'll probably go talk to some of the guys at the shop you talked about, see if we can get something set up. I'm willing to drive the 6+hrs for a good artist. With as many military bases as we have around here artists can charge a ******* arm and a leg and it sucks.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cdtattoo.jpg

What is the "cellar door" reference?
Umm, actually now that I'm thinking about it, is it as dirty as I'm imagining?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I thought most everyone knew about the whole "cellar door" reference but if not: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellar_door

What's on either side of the "cellar door" I have no ******* clue.

It's "cellar door" in the 3 languages of Tolkien's world. Elvish, Common (English) and Dwarven runes.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, no clue but thanks. Certainly better than what I had in mind.
The writing on either side looks like either Elvish in the Tolkien sense or some nordic style rune work.
SoCal, care to chime in?

edit: I see you are a Tolkien dork as well. Nice, I'm actually reading it to my 8 year old right now.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
The writing on either side looks like either Elvish in the Tolkien sense or some nordic style rune work.
SoCal, care to chime in?

It's "cellar door" in the 3 languages of Tolkien's world. Elvish, Common (English) and Dwarven runes.

See above

lost in va

Reaction score

I almost figured it would be something close to that but didn't want to guess and look stupid.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
SoCal, care to chime in?

edit: I see you are a Tolkien dork as well. Nice, I'm actually reading it to my 8 year old right now.

I've had this for about a year:

onering.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant next weekend. I'll be there the 13th - 15th and I'll probably go talk to some of the guys at the shop you talked about, see if we can get something set up. I'm willing to drive the 6+hrs for a good artist. With as many military bases as we have around here artists can charge a ******* arm and a leg and it sucks.

http://www.savedtattoo.com/

Michelle is who did my palm trees and the recent Tolkien stuff. If you look at her portfolio on the 1st image with the branches is sort of what I want to base my shoulder/chest/arm off of.

Cherry blossom, lotus, chyrsanthemum
Similar to:

awesomecherryblossombranches.jpg

AAAAAts7rLcAAAAAAGdr6Q.jpg

Cherry%20Blossom%20Tattoo.jpg

l

073104e.jpg

77666_f260.jpg

tattoo.jpg

hiram007b.jpg

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had this for about a year:

onering.jpg

The one piece of Elvish script I actually can read (or at least have memorized)

On your chest piece the writing on the right is the Feanorian characters right? the Same used around the gates of Moria? (yes I am a ******* dork and I did just check my book)

Any way, nice tat.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
The one piece of Elvish script I actually can read (or at least have memorized)

On your chest piece the writing on the right is the Feanorian characters right? the Same used around the gates of Moria? (yes I am a ******* dork and I did just check my book)

Any way, nice tat.

The Elvish is "Tengwar" and the version/script is Quenya which is closest to the Gates of Moria font. The One Ring cursive Elvish script is Tengwar Feanorian. The dwarvish is "Cirth Erebor".

blackplatano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
They're simple, they are an elegant combination of the familiar (F-holes) in an unfamiliar way (a basis for art), they complement each other (curves on curves), and they instantly and clearly tell a story about her. So many tattoos are a mishmash of themes and designs. They are often complicated, lack a common theme (beyond the wearer's desires), and do not tell a story well. All of that is fine, but she chose a different path, and did it very well. Because of that, I thought they were stunning. ~ H
It's based on a really famous picture by Man ray. So yes, it is art. But I find the implications of her tattoo funny, since the original picture in a way suggested that women were a hobby. http://media.photobucket.com/image/%...da/man-ray.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads